• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-turfed the run for Spring 2011!

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
And here it is in all it's glory.........Pea and Pod seem to like it and spent hours rearranging all the soil at the digging end (closest to the camera).

IMG_0545.jpg

It usually lasts 2-3 years before they dig it all away :roll:. It's just open wire over the top of the run so it gets plenty of daylight and rain. They don't tend to do their poops on the grass - you'll notice concrete down the right hand side and a litter tray top right hand corner. They do all their poops and wees either on the concrete or in the littler tray (closest to Flora and Parsnip's run :lol:).

Fortunately, the run is big enough that they don't kill the grass and they get a fair amount of time free-ranging in the garden too.

This was it a few summers ago - you can see how long and green the grass gets......

11082009198-1.jpg

Although this was it two years ago - the last time I did a 'repair' job on the grass. Pea and Pod had spring fever and dug a wonderful tunnel under the turf - until it all collapsed in on them :lol: The soil is only about a foot deep and then you hit the underwiring. The bare patch in the centre of the photo is where they sit all the time.

100_0406-1.jpg

And this is it from a distance so you can see it's open to the elements at the top.......

21062008017.jpg

Last edited:
Just done mine this after noon too :)
lillywallyrun.jpg

joeyroorun.jpg

The buns seem very happy with it. Wish they could have as much space as your buns though :?

It looks great..only thing I'd say is.....:?

We need more pics of Pea and Pod! ;) :lol::lol:

How much was your turf please- and how much sqft did you order? Thanks and where from ? x

We've just bought a load of turf from B&Q, most stores have it is stock soon, but it'll be different depending on which store you go to (we didn't buy enought the first time round and we got more from a different store and it was a slightly different shade :lol:)

can't quite remember the price, but wasn't expensive compared to online places and of course there is no minimum order and it seemed good quality and nice and thick etc.

Hannah

that looks lovely, but what do you think the life expectancy of the grass is?

Mine doesn't last as long as Macker's. Roo&Joey dig at theirs a lot more, eating the whole plant, so it does turn to mud through the winter. I'm hoping I won't have to returf until the autumn so that it will last as long into winter as possible. Lilly & Wally's turf lasts longer as they don't dig at it. The bits that they always sit on and I walk on tured into a compact earth pathway. The rest of the grass seemed to last okay but got patchy due to toys/willow sticks etc.

The B&Q Turf is £3 per roll this year (was £2.50 last year). One roll does about 3ft x 3ft or 1 sq metre. I bought six for my two runs, but had quite a few odds and ends left over, so I put them in tubs.

I bought 6 rolls at £3.99 each (B&Q and Homebase were out of stock so I had to get it from a garden centre). One roll
does 1 square metre but I was lucky that a whole roll fitted exactly from one side of the run to the other.

Tinsel - I have real trouble getting piccies of Pea and Pod - they just don't behave for the camera. The only time I can
keep them in one place is if I provide food :roll:.

You'll notice pellets sprinkled in the grass :lol::lol:.........

DSC01664.jpg

pellets or hay..........they're not fussy :roll:

14052009144-1.jpg

29032008198.jpg

Back