• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building a hutch ?

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
What type of wood would I need ?
How much of it ?
What mesh would i use ?
How much of it ?

To make a 6ft X 3ft x 2ft hutch :)

My husband was going to built our contis a huge hutch each.
He will be home in a hour so if no one has posted by then i can get him to work out what you need and measurements etc. Also if you buy the wood from B&Q they can cut it to size for free for you so all you have to do is screw it together when you get home :)

I'm not and expert, but from making the inside of the shed for the bunnies, well helping ym dad make it we use:
Plywood for the shelves, and just treated outdoor lengths of wood as supports that you can get from any DIY shop. Have a look round for the cheapest.
The best mesh to use is weld mesh. I got some off ebay. The holes in the mesh come in different sizes, I got 1/2 by 1 inch which I 'think' is the best:)

Are you wanting to make just a one level hutch?

It's quite basic working out how much you need, do a drawing and it is quite clear.
Just a quick list from my head:
Plywood - One for the floor and one for the roof (roof one a bit bigger). YOu can get different thicknesses so have a look at which one looks best.
The supports - Have a look at the different widths of them I can't think off the top of my head which would be best. You need one fore each corner that are longer so the hutch is raised off the ground. Then the basic frame like a cuboid and so on.
Mesh - Well you need some for the front of the hutch and that is it for a one level hutch.

Don't go by anything I say though, it's just a rough outline:p:D

You really need to draw out a detailed plan to work out how much wood and mesh you will need, as it depends on the design.

Also, it's affected by the sizes the wood is sold in - for example if you need 6, 4foot pieces of wood - but you could only find wood sold in 5foot lengths - you couldn't just buy 5 pieces of wood and say "that's 25 foot so it's enough" - you'd have to buy 6 pieces and have surplus. unless you could join bits together - but then you'd need extra supplies, to do the joining.

You can get standard aviary mesh from homebase but get something thicker if you can to make it more fox-proof. try www.meshdirect.co.uk

Back