• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

head firmly hit desk...

catxx

Mama Doe
Just seen photos from best school friend's facebook. She seems to be hoarding animals as well as children at the moment (3 boys under 10 plus getting qualification to care for up to 3 more at home). Anyway, she has 3 cats and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppy.

And to top it off, now posted picture of chicken wire/wood run (to be fair larger space than most would get) with the new additions. A lionhead bunny and two guinea pigs. Did stick my oar in and say they shouldn't be together, she KNOWS I have bunnys but never asked. Hope she doesn't take too much offence!

Urgh! Why do my friends challenge me with such awkwardness.

she defended chicken wire run - which to be fair has at least one solid side and is tall - that they're only in when someone's home and in a hutch the rest of the time....I see no picture of said hutch though >_< and I imagine guineas & rabbit are in it together?

I hate potentially damaging a friendship but I can't tolerate impulsive pets!

:wave:
Hey, why don't you talk to her nicely and recommend her good rabbit info websites that will advise her to do things properly. You could summarise important bits and let her read info in more detail on the websites. Maybe she will feel guilty and do something about it.

oh good. she deleted my comments (kind of expected) and said her vet said it was ok to keep the two species together >_<

her and another mutual friend already think I'm a bit "weird" when it comes to animals - went geektonic when the other friend was posting about goldfish that just died as if it were a joke.

I despair :(

oh good. she deleted my comments (kind of expected) and said her vet said it was ok to keep the two species together >_<

her and another mutual friend already think I'm a bit "weird" when it comes to animals - went geektonic when the other friend was posting about goldfish that just died as if it were a joke.

I despair :(

My friends do this to me at school.. They don't think your serious about the welfare of your pet family!
When I found Charlie dead in the garden .. I was crying when I told my friend like after a month, he told me I should of have taken a picture!!!!
I don't talk to him about pets any more.

Sadly it won't get any better. I'm nearly 30 and she's only a few months younger. People just don't grow out of that frame of mind and it tears me up!

Sadly it won't get any better. I'm nearly 30 and she's only a few months younger. People just don't grow out of that frame of mind and it tears me up!

Don't get stressed over her, she doesn't deserve your stress :p!!
Tell her about the buns, and there's nothing else you can do if she doesn't make a change.
Would the RSPCA help?

nah she's not having any of it. her vet is fine apparently :shock: and she just seems thoroughly offended that I care about the welfare of animals? and besides she's setting up a childcare business at home so will be home all day, and we all know how much these small fluffys just love 6 kids under 10 racing about screaming all day.

hum :(

nah she's not having any of it. her vet is fine apparently :shock: and she just seems thoroughly offended that I care about the welfare of animals? and besides she's setting up a childcare business at home so will be home all day, and we all know how much these small fluffys just love 6 kids under 10 racing about screaming all day.

o_O I hope she hasn't bought the buns because of the children, or entertainment for the children.
Her vet probably wants money.

o_O I hope she hasn't bought the buns because of the children, or entertainment for the children.
Her vet probably wants money.

exactly and exactly. all animals are because of the kids. the puppy I kind of get, her eldest is autistic and was to the point of running into the road to avoid dogs, this has helped, but there's a line and it's starting to cross it.

I just need hugs from people who actually care about animal welfare right now :(

The vet I work under told me to bond my guinea pig with my baby rabbit after my guineas partner died. I was shocked. To the person who said the vet probably wanted money, this vet didn't want money off me. My guess if that vets just don't understand the dangers of keeping them together, since it wasn't too long ago that keeping them together was acceptable.
And at least you mentioned it to her that they shouldn't be together, I'm sure many people wouldn't have wanted to get involved.:shock:

The vet I work under told me to bond my guinea pig with my baby rabbit after my guineas partner died. I was shocked. To the person who said the vet probably wanted money, this vet didn't want money off me. My guess if that vets just don't understand the dangers of keeping them together, since it wasn't too long ago that keeping them together was acceptable.
And at least you mentioned it to her that they shouldn't be together, I'm sure many people wouldn't have wanted to get involved.:shock:

And she politely told me to F-off, without using those actual words but she might well have done! Fast running out of real world friends here...

She is a very stubborn person, her world is her hubby and kids, that's it pretty much. I fear these animals are entertainment for said kids plus childminding business (especially when she said the animals were covered by her childminding budget...:roll:). In one of her messages she said her hubby said he'd look for rabbit recipes if the rabbit bit one of the kids.

Is it wrong I kind of want her to see the true side of fearful rabbits and guineas so the point is driven home?

She was adamant it was fine due to the "professional" saying it was ok and the fact she grew up around tons of animals (I remember her saying she had rabbits when she was a kid - she let them loose around her garden and they kept breeding, she was laughing as she said this.) OH and her uncle is a gamekeeper so they're fine with keeping animals....:roll::roll::roll:

It sounds like she's coming from a background where animals are treated more as commodities then as close family members so it's likely that you are never going to see eye to eye on this issue I'm afraid. I think you've probably done all you can. I guess you have to ask yourself, is this the sort of person you want as a friend? If there are plenty of other areas in your friendship where you do see eye to eye and have more in common, then perhaps it's worth cultivating, if not, perhaps it's time to walk away.

It sounds like she's coming from a background where animals are treated more as commodities then as close family members so it's likely that you are never going to see eye to eye on this issue I'm afraid. I think you've probably done all you can. I guess you have to ask yourself, is this the sort of person you want as a friend? If there are plenty of other areas in your friendship where you do see eye to eye and have more in common, then perhaps it's worth cultivating, if not, perhaps it's time to walk away.

I sadly agree. We've known each other about 15 years it seems very sad she's not even willing to say thanks but no thanks, but instead tell me to naff off because her and youngest have a chest infection and omg life is hard! I was a bit nose-wrinkly about her getting so many animals in the first place, her OH isn't working due to back problems and she hasn't had a job in 8 years, and is now setting up her childminding thing. It just seems a bit like she's adding to stress without even noticing she is.

I didn't say anything, but she had a rant about a vet referring to her when she took her puppy to the vet as "mummy" when the pup went to cuddle up to her. Her opinion was she was mum to her kids and not to animals.

And sadly I think she'll take a few mutual friends with her. She's a stronger personality than I am.

MASSIVE sigh. :(

Back