• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Contis Housing so far !

twisted_angel

Warren Scout
Here are the contis housing so far.

They have a new 6 x 4 ft shed each. A second level with ramp ( 2 1/1 foot by 4 ft) . We have put steps on the ramps now and they both can get up and down fine. We still have the doors to make into stable doors and vents to put into tomorrow.

I will post their outdoor enclosure photos once finished. The shed will sit in their enclosures so they have access to the outside and inside as when they they want. We will prob put small dog door flaps in the doors.

Any advice or tips to improve appreciated as i am still learning.

IMG_0850.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

Last edited:
The ramp looks a bit steep. Can you put carpet or wood battens across it for some grip?

OP says the ramps have steps on now :)

looking good, can't wait to see finished pics!

Is that wood shavings you're using on the floors? There are health risks associated with using wood shavings so you might want to consider an alternative such as aubiose or megazorb :)

The ramp looks a bit steep. Can you put carpet or wood battens across it for some grip?

We have put 4 x 2x1 wooden batons across it. We realised they couldnt get up it after putting them in so husband promptly took them out and put the battons across and both rabbits have gone up and down them with no problems since. Piccie below of the batons in the background.

IMG_0870.jpg

Last edited:
OP says the ramps have steps on now :)

looking good, can't wait to see finished pics!

Is that wood shavings you're using on the floors? There are health risks associated with using wood shavings so you might want to consider an alternative such as aubiose or megazorb :)

I have used dust free shaving and got megazor too but the megazorb didnt look as nice so was going to use that for the litter trays. I will swap for megazorb (husband will be pleased we will need a ton of it).

Thank you

I would also suggest some lino :) You could probably find two off cuts somewhere, one big one small to use.

Looking good though :) Are they going to have run in the garden too?

xx

Lino good idea. Would you glue this down or just lay it on there? Thank you good advice.

The shed will be in the enclosures. The enclosures will be 5ft high wooden frames with fox proof mesh and with a clear plastic corrugated roof to keep the rain off and give them shade during the summer.

Also once they are spayed and neutred i may try to bond them. If that is sucessful they will have free run of the lawned part of my garden during the spring and summer months (it is completely lawned no flowers) or they will have to take turns if they cannot be bonded.

Last edited:
i would board up the inside with ply wood to protect the shed from being nibbled!

looks good :wave:

Hmmmm think my husband may divorce me if i ask him to take it all back out to playwood the sides :? May wait until he has finished the outdoor enclosures before i mention it - thank you for the tip.

It looks fantastic, they really are lucky bunnies!

Just one extra thing I would do, is panel the lower part of the walls with hardboard, as they may be more inclined to chew through them as the sheds are made of over lapping wood.

It's a great set up though, and I hope the little girlies ears get better real soon. :)

Thank you Bunniemum and Mischief and Tinker's mum.

My husband is going to finish their outside enclosures then go back in to hardboard up the inside of the shed. I had a look this morning and no nibbling yet. I am hoping with all the toys, hay and apple branches i have out in they will hold off for a bit to give my poor husband chance. He has been working on the garden and sheds for them for 3 days now :lol:

Wow, looking great. :wave:

I'm just wondering... you don't really need to fill the whole shed with bedding as often rabbits like to lie on the wooden floor, especially when it's hot. You could get some under bed storage boxes to use a litter trays and fill those with megazorb and hay. They you could have another basket or rack with hay for them to eat. Would that save you money on bedding? Then you could put toys like fleece blankets in that they love to dig and push about (and you can buy from poundland) that would otherwise get covered in bedding. And they can roll balls about etc. And it would be easier to clean.

Just thinking out loud. :)

Wow, looking great. :wave:

I'm just wondering... you don't really need to fill the whole shed with bedding as often rabbits like to lie on the wooden floor, especially when it's hot. You could get some under bed storage boxes to use a litter trays and fill those with megazorb and hay. They you could have another basket or rack with hay for them to eat. Would that save you money on bedding? Then you could put toys like fleece blankets in that they love to dig and push about (and you can buy from poundland) that would otherwise get covered in bedding. And they can roll balls about etc. And it would be easier to clean.

Just thinking out loud. :)

Fantastic some good advice i will use Jenova. I was going to to cover the whole floor in lino so shall i leave a area free from lino so they have the floor to lay on? i will def get some trays for their litter as both seem to be doing their toilet in 1 area at the mo so will be a lot easier to clean.

Thank you again:)

Fantastic some good advice i will use Jenova. I was going to to cover the whole floor in lino so shall i leave a area free from lino so they have the floor to lay on? i will def get some trays for their litter as both seem to be doing their toilet in 1 area at the mo so will be a lot easier to clean.

Thank you again:)

Lino or wood or whatever the floor is covered with. My hutch has some plastic mats on and they seem to be just as good. :)

That way litter trays can be cleaned every day and the rest of the shed can be swept up every week and if you have lino you can mop it down or even clean it with a rabbit safe disinfectant or vinegar. Wood is a little harder to clean, okay a lot harder to clean. Especially if they get poos stuck to it. I had to have a poo scraping knife and every now and then had to scrub the hutch with wire wool to clean if properly, so I would say go for all lino, much easier, and will still give them a cool space to lie in if they want. You could even get carpet for the tops of those shelves. ;)

If you do get litter trays, put them where they are already going and hopefully it'll be as easy as that. They hay in the litter tray is because rabbits like to eat while they poo. :shock: :lol:

Back