• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wilford Rabbit refuge volunteer day - 30 April

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Date now set: 30th April 2011 from around 1pm onwards. :wave:

You may remember that I posted a while back that I'd like to join in with the volunteer days for rescues idea suggested by raine:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264521

We probably won't have a huge amount of work to do...mainly painting the aviaries and a bit of cleaning out or grooming if anyone's up for that?

Please can anyone interested either PM me, or reply on thread.

Unfortunately parking here is very limited, so we can't have too many people here at once. If interest is bigger than anticipated, we can always arrange another day later in the year.

Amy :)

Last edited:
Have you organised insurance for your volunteers because thats whats stopping us having a volunteer day. We have so much DIY and painting to do it would be great to get some help. If you have was it a lot and could you get it just for those dates or are you paying out for the year?

No insurance. I'm not planning on anyone using power tools or similar, so risk is minimal.

I can't avoid letting anyone onto my property just in case they sue me, otherwise I'd probably have no friends left (joke) :lol:

No insurance. I'm not planning on anyone using power tools or similar, so risk is minimal.

I can't avoid letting anyone onto my property just in case they sue me, otherwise I'd probably have no friends left (joke) :lol:

lol good point and who is likely to sue a rescue anyway if they are coming because they want to help and love animals. I have wondered about insurance too- but i think if anything happened they could sue me but i don't have anything to take, so i have low risk in that department too.

If you are a rescue with public coming and going as opposed to a sanctuary that rarely has visitors you definitely need insurance. You would surprised who would sue and could potentially cause a lot of trouble.

I'll come. :wave:

I don't mind which weekend, although I'm doing the London Marathon on 17 April so still might not be much use by the 23/24. :lol:

If it's just a group of friends going round to someone's house to help with DIY jobs etc, which I guess is what this would be, would you still need to have insurance?

Ok I don't mean to be negative or awkward here. But just say someone had an accident and fell badly breaking say there arm. Which could then lead to an op etc and a significant time off work. If work doesn't provide good sickness cover then that person however nice may have no choice but to sue to be able to afford to live :?

Hopefully for a one off day helping out household insurance may cover it but knowing insurance companies who will wiggle out of anything if they can, if they find you are a sanctuary that had an open day they wont pay up and say you needed public liability insurance :?

In my eyes its not worth the risk of loosing everything for as it means the bunnies will loose out too.

Like I say i don;t mean to be negative but we have learnt by experience that people are not always as they seem and sometimes things happen how ever good your intentions so it is always best to be covered for all eventualities :)

Ok I don't mean to be negative or awkward here. But just say someone had an accident and fell badly breaking say there arm. Which could then lead to an op etc and a significant time off work. If work doesn't provide good sickness cover then that person however nice may have no choice but to sue to be able to afford to live :?

Hopefully for a one off day helping out household insurance may cover it but knowing insurance companies who will wiggle out of anything if they can, if they find you are a sanctuary that had an open day they wont pay up and say you needed public liability insurance :?

In my eyes its not worth the risk of loosing everything for as it means the bunnies will loose out too.

Like I say i don;t mean to be negative but we have learnt by experience that people are not always as they seem and sometimes things happen how ever good your intentions so it is always best to be covered for all eventualities :)

Fair point - but perhaps folks could sign a disclaimer saying that they're helping at their own risk?

I used to do that when I ran my drama group - insurance got so high that I said if anyone wanted to join they wouldn't be covered and had to sign a form to say they knew there was no insurance and were taking part at their own risk. It didn't put anybody off :)

Fair point - but perhaps folks could sign a disclaimer saying that they're helping at their own risk?

I used to do that when I ran my drama group - insurance got so high that I said if anyone wanted to join they wouldn't be covered and had to sign a form to say they knew there was no insurance and were taking part at their own risk. It didn't put anybody off :)

Thats a good idea. Do you know how well they work legally if someone was to have an accident? was it written professionally or could you just write it your self? Sorry for all the questions:oops:

I'll come. :wave:

I don't mind which weekend, although I'm doing the London Marathon on 17 April so still might not be much use by the 23/24. :lol:

If it's just a group of friends going round to someone's house to help with DIY jobs etc, which I guess is what this would be, would you still need to have insurance?

Cool, cheers Tracy :wave:

So you'd prefer 30/1?

Thats a good idea. Do you know how well they work legally if someone was to have an accident? was it written professionally or could you just write it your self? Sorry for all the questions:oops:

I wrote it myself, printed it out on our letterheads and got everyone to sign one, and they got a copy to keep. Parents/guardians had to sign for under 18s.

I think if you have made it clear that there is no insurance cover and they have signed a document to say they have been told that and accept it then there shouldn't be any problems :)

Having had a good look online it seems that disclaimers are not legally binding at all and if someone does get hurt then they could still sue :? :(

thats a shame as it would have been a good alternative for us

Having had a good look online it seems that disclaimers are not legally binding at all and if someone does get hurt then they could still sue :? :(

thats a shame as it would have been a good alternative for us

Trouble is that ANYONE can sue you if they get injured on your property...even burglers :shock:

I think you need to draw a line somewhere. I'm not a charity or 'official' in any way, so I hope that the household insurance would pay out if the worst was to happen. :)

Trouble is that ANYONE can sue you if they get injured on your property...even burglers :shock:

I think you need to draw a line somewhere. I'm not a charity or 'official' in any way, so I hope that the household insurance would pay out if the worst was to happen. :)

Fair enough :D

having had a number of really bad experiences in the past year caused by people we considered "friends" and rabbit lovers I wouldn't take the risk. But then it is also one of the reasons why we have stopped taking in rabbits and started trying to disappear a bit. You live and learn :roll::)

Fair enough :D

having had a number of really bad experiences in the past year caused by people we considered "friends" and rabbit lovers I wouldn't take the risk. But then it is also one of the reasons why we have stopped taking in rabbits and started trying to disappear a bit. You live and learn :roll::)

True...I might end up eating my words! Wouldn't be the first time :lol:

I'll hopefully be able to come Amy :wave: I don't mind which date & will try to fit in with what ever you choose :)

Just need to make sure I can find you & don't get lost on my way to you!! :oops:

I'll hopefully be able to come Amy :wave: I don't mind which date & will try to fit in with what ever you choose :)

Just need to make sure I can find you & don't get lost on my way to you!! :oops:

Cool! Sue knows where I am...my house is quite difficult to find from J25 because of the Clifton Bridge flyover...even with satnav :wave:

Cool! Sue knows where I am...my house is quite difficult to find from J25 because of the Clifton Bridge flyover...even with satnav :wave:

Difficulty is I don't know where Sue lives, as I've never been :oops: :lol:

God help me as I've not got sat nav either! :oops: :lol: I'll find a way I'm sure ;)

Back