• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flying your bun

What airlines allow rabbits as carry-ons..anyone know?

OH, and... I am in Idaho right now and having a hard time finding a vet who will do vaccinations on Velveteen they said she doesnt need them. anyone know of a place close or in twinfalls?
thank you

Last edited:
AFAIK in america you dont need vaccines. Your species of wild rabbit is different to ours (although there are some colonies of european rabbit near Washington if I remember rightly) they dont carry/cant get VHD or Myxi which is what we vaccinate for here. Along with this one (or both) vaccine is not approved (i think thats the right word) in america :wave:

*crosses fingers that she isnt talking a load of tosh*

maybe? I never owned a rabbit before so I am getting a tad confused because airlines willNOT allow any animal to fly without being health cert and vaccinated? or does that just apply with dogs and cats? :?

You will need to call the airline, I personally wouldnt want to fly my rabbits just to get vaccines :wave: It is something you need to really research, prehaps post on General Chat or Rabbit Chat and ask the advice of other american members :wave:

Nope, no vaccines needed for America. Theres not really myxi/VHD...somewhere near California and somewhere else there is, I think, but its extremely, extremely rare and there isn't any vaccinations in America anyway, so you couldnt vaccinate even if you wanted to. it would just be completely unnecessary.

Only cats, dogs, and ferrets need vaccs.

Not sure whether it would be good to fly with a rabbit though. Depends on the personality, but I wouldn't risk it. Could you get a sitter? ETA: Read that wrong, I thought you were wanting to fly to another state for vacation and bring the rabbit with you.

a sitter? no, I am on vacation. I live in Las vegas, Nevada but since I have alot of relationship issues and home issues I took a vacation out to see my mother and my uncle who I hadn't seen in years. They live in Idaho and although I wasn't looking for a new pet I got one and of course critters are for life and a special rabbit like Velv needs to be spoiled rotten so I cannot just dump the sweet lil girl.
I will go to rabbit chat and see what I can find. thank you!

Back