• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feeding advice please

lousilverfox

Mama Doe
Hey everyone,

Got Milly my 2yr old silver fox bunny last night from a rescue home. I gave her a bowl of rabbit food last night and a meduim carrot. Went in this morning and she has ate the lot. Gave her the same this morning and again she has ate the lot.

How much should she really be eating? im worried that i will over feed her!

Also i know that rabbits can eat;

rabbit food
Hay
Carrots, broccili, turnip

what else can i give her?

can i give her crackers etc?

Hey everyone,

Got Milly my 2yr old silver fox bunny last night from a rescue home. I gave her a bowl of rabbit food last night and a meduim carrot. Went in this morning and she has ate the lot. Gave her the same this morning and again she has ate the lot.

How much should she really be eating? im worried that i will over feed her!

Also i know that rabbits can eat;

rabbit food
Hay
Carrots, broccili, turnip

what else can i give her?

can i give her crackers etc?

Firstly, well dne for taking her on from a rescue :)

Next, cut the carrot dowwwwwwwwwwn! Carrots are VERY high in sugar and will do bunny (most bunnies) no good in that amount. A piece about 1/2 inch thick twice a week or so would be better.

A bunnies diet should be ~85% hay. 5% pellets and 10% veges.

Here is a list of safe fruit/veg.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

New foods shuold be introduced gradually - one at a time, once eaten, monitor for iffy poops for 24-48 hours after. If not, you can give a little more and introduce something different etc etc.

What rabbit food are you feeing her? She needs unlimited junior pellets if a baby, but if shes ~6months or more, you can give ~1 eggcupful per day of pellets. If she's on a mix, i would recommend you slowly move across to a pelletted food, over the course of ~2 weeks, slowly reducing one and increasing t'other :)

Hope this helps!

Hello

Hay/grass should make up 80-90% of a Rabbit's diet. Concentrated feed (Pellets/Muesli Mix) should be minimal. No more than an eggcupful a day for an average (approx 2.5kg) Rabbit.

Carrots are very high in sugars and are really only suitable as a once/twice a week treat and only about a 2-3cm chunk.

The nearer to the diet of a wild Rabbit the better :)

You can obtain some dietary advice here :

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/Feeding130807.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/going_green_oct_06.pdf

Last edited:
Shows how much i dont know about rabbits! Wont give her any more carrots this week!

Shes on a mix, its what she has been fed from rescue home.

Will start giving her pelets

Thanks very much x

Shows how much i dont know about rabbits! Wont give her any more carrots this week!

Shes on a mix, its what she has been fed from rescue home.

Will start giving her pelets

Thanks very much x

Any changes to her food needs to be done very slowly over a period of a couple of weeks :)

Introduce the pellets slowly too as a quick change can give a runny bum.

Fresh herbs are fab, basil, coriander and some occasional parsley, stay away from chives though.

I suprised the rescue didn't give you much advice on buns diet :(

My boys have a small amount of pellets in the morning along with fresh water and a hay mountain.

Then they get hay and and fresh water through the day.

Before bed they have their veggies, more hay and fresh water.

Back