• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help please with rabbit room

lousilverfox

Mama Doe
Hey everyone,

My bunny Milly is currently living in a box room in my livingroom it has a door that closes and carpet on the floor, atm she is stayinhg in a large cage but since she is going to be a house rabbit and has her own room i thot it would be nice to let her have the whole room to sleep in rather than being restricted to the cage.

Milly isint toilet trained but have purchased a litter tray to start the proccess.

Any tips on toilet training?

Also will Milly go to her litter tray if shes needing to go to the toilet?

My husband wont be to happy if she pees and poos all over the box room carpet but if she can learn not to do this then she can have the whole room.

Also will she eat the carpet? not that i mind but would be worried that it would make her ill xxx

Firstly, is Milly spayed? If not, i'd suggest this happes before you think of litter training her :wave: If so, excellent!

Thoroughly clean the floor to make sure theres no urine on it to start with, if there is, as she will think its okay to do this :wave:

Place her hay in a litter tray (what do you have for this?) and make that the only place she has hay - buns like to eat while they poop :)

Under the hay, have a good layer of newspaper and (optionally) megazorb on top of the newspaper. Make sure its a good layer of hay :)

Place some poops in the tray and if she wees on the floor get some on newspaper and put that newspaper in the litter tray, so it smells of her.

Not all buns are trainable, but most are :wave: Even if not 100% trained.

Does that help?

She may eat carpet - i have a bun who loves to eat carpet - so we replaced it with lino where their pen was :wave: Its easier to clean too :)

Hey :wave:

Has she been spayed? Things are alot easier when the hormones have died down!

I would start by collected all her poops and using tissues to collect wee's and put them in her litter tray with the hay/whatever you use. I would maybe start with the base of the cage as a litter tray and the downsize from there as she gets better at it.

It does come more naturally to some buns than others. Without the hormones they are less likely to feel the need to mark their territory so often.

I would invest in some white wine vinegar to clean all the places she soils. Once she smells that she has 'been' somewhere she may start going in that place all the times so you will ahve to neutralise the smell.

xxx

ETA - One of my buns loves carpet but I put the tool box where he likes nomming and he doesnt try anymore, it was only the one place in the corner!

Thanks for getting back to me,

Shes not speyd but thats my next step as she has a dewlap.

I have a cat litter tray couldnt get a cornor one at pet shop.

Also whats best for litter tray? that cat paper stuff thats organic?

ok silly question here but wont she poo and pee on the hay then if its sitting in her litter tray? and she will be ok to eat it afterwards?

They won't eat pee'd on bits, they sniff out the nice bits. You'll find she'll wee in one corner of the litter tray too so put the hay up the other end. Her poops should be crumbly round balls so easily avoidable :)

xxx

About £50, but make sure you go to a rabbit savvy vet. It is quite a big procedure for a girly.

Maybe post a new thread asking for a rabbit savvy vet in your area :wave:

Where abouts are you? xx

Back