• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New owner in need of advice...

pablo0151

New Kit
Hi everyone

Just like to say that this forum has already provided me with a wealth of info just from reading previous posts...so thanks!

I've just recently (this week) adopted two rabbits, they are lop eared sisters (from the same litter) and are about six months old. When I got them, they came with this awful plastic cage which is far too small for them so I really need to get them something more suitable.

I get paid next week so would really appreciate any advice on what I should be looking for in terms of a hutch. They love being together and constantly cuddle up, so I need something that can house them both comfortably, they've never been outdoors in their lives so I'd like to keep them inside (at least for now), and I live on my own with a mortgage to pay so I can't really afford these £200 bunny mansions I've seen on ebay.

Thanks very much in advance...

Paul

Hi Paul :)

I have house buns and I love 'em :D I'm sooo glad you managed to get these two and are taking good care of them :D
Mine are currently in a dog pen, in my kitchen :) It cost £40 from the range and is pretty huge :D If you wanted to keep them indoors, then I think this is a cool idea :D Either that, or a dog crate and you can add more levels :D
Getting them litter trained is also a good idea :D

xxx

Do you have a spare room in your house, or do you know the approximate space you can give to them and perhaps we could assist that way?

Could you bunny proof a room, to allow free-range, or do you have any ideas as to what you thiink you might like that we could sugges timprovements on?

welcome btw :)

I have a dog pen too :) It's a few inches over 6ft x 2ft and cost me about £45, easy to move and easy to clean. I love it!

Theres lots and lots of dog creates on ebay at the moment from £20 upwards so it might be good to have a nose through there! Ive got a single male house bun at the moment and he uses one of those plastic cages as a base (he has the run of the kitchen 24/7 so is never locked in it but it houses his litter tray and food/water etc) but when we find him a female to pair with i am thinking of upgrading to a larger dog create instead.

Last edited:
Wow thanks for so many fast and helpful replies...this is a great forum for a new owner like me!

I'm afraid I don't have a spare room for them to run about in, but at the moment they're living semi (apart from when I go to work) free range in the kitchen. I've managed to sort of proof it by stuffing old magazines down the sides of the fridge, washing machine etc, however I came downstairs this morning and there was bits of paper all over the place!! Any advice on that kind of thing would be ace too.

I never thought of a dog cage, but that sounds like a great idea, there should be loads of space for them to stretch out that way. It seems to me that all the proper hutches are far too small height wise anyways.

I'll start looking about and see what I can find...I'll get back and show you all what I find.

Cheers

Paul

Wow thanks for so many fast and helpful replies...this is a great forum for a new owner like me!

I'm afraid I don't have a spare room for them to run about in, but at the moment they're living semi (apart from when I go to work) free range in the kitchen. I've managed to sort of proof it by stuffing old magazines down the sides of the fridge, washing machine etc, however I came downstairs this morning and there was bits of paper all over the place!! Any advice on that kind of thing would be ace too.

I never thought of a dog cage, but that sounds like a great idea, there should be loads of space for them to stretch out that way. It seems to me that all the proper hutches are far too small height wise anyways.

I'll start looking about and see what I can find...I'll get back and show you all what I find.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul :wave:

If you want ideas of a dog crate setup etc, try here :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273491&highlight=Setup

Could you not bunny proof the kitchen and let them have that all the time? In my experience bunny proofing it a LOT easier to do and to live with than building a big enough cage which is only going to take away from your living space as well. By bunny proofing you share the space.

Could you not bunny proof the kitchen and let them have that all the time? In my experience bunny proofing it a LOT easier to do and to live with than building a big enough cage which is only going to take away from your living space as well. By bunny proofing you share the space.

I have thought about that, and I'd like to do it, but I have to put the alarm on of a day when I'm at work and the sensor would pick them up.

We'll get there in the end.

I have thought about that, and I'd like to do it, but I have to put the alarm on of a day when I'm at work and the sensor would pick them up.

We'll get there in the end.

I know this has been covered here before so it might be worth trying a search for it for some solutions. Or a new thread if that's the main issue for you.

Been on the trail of finding a pen or large cage for Sophie and Haru and came across this:

HTML:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FABRIC-PET-PLAY-PEN-DOG-PUPPY-CAT-RABBIT-/200590259919?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item746b3adb58#ht_3950wt_1141

Does anyone have any experience of a product like this, or know of a reason why it would be a bad idea? Please excuse my total ignorance in all matters rabbits...I will get there eventually!

Cheers

Paul

I wouldn't leave them unattended, they'd probably chew their way out in a couple of hours :lol:

Back