• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ranging

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'd like to let my rabbits free range when I clean out their hutch. The garden is secure and rabbit proof. I obviously won't let them free range for a while because I've only had them a week but how long should I wait until I let them free range? They now come over to the side of the run when I go into the garden and they run over to me if I have food for them.

I don't think there's any set time, just when you're confident. :)
Does your run just open at the top? Because if there is no side door you'll have to pick them up to take them out and then catch and pick them up to put them back in. That will be the hard part for the first month. I bet they'll give you the run around. :p

:lol: Catching them again should be interesting! The run does only open at the top, but one of my guinea-pig runs opens at the side, and although its not tall enough for the rabbits to hop around in, if I was only going to use it to get them in before I put them back in their hutch then I think it would be ok :) I've already started trying to get them more used to me in their run and inside. If I sit down they both jump on me :lol:

Thank you :) My Mum bought the rabbits a plant of one of the things they eat, I can't remember what it's called though :lol: and I sat with Archie on the patio today and he was walking round. I only had him out on the patio because it's quite blocked in and I had the plant to bribe him with :lol:
Molly still doesn't really like being picked up (I know most rabbits don't, but Archie will sit still and let me pick him up but Molly won't) so she stayed in the run with a pile of dandelions

I think get them used to free range early.As people said the hardest part is catching them.
My two are great now with clapping of the hands and getting behind them they return to their run no problem.
Or sometimes if out for a while and doing binkies they just flop out and want me to carry them back to the run.Best of luck

The best thing you can do is start to give them treats when they come to you.Also if you can get a run which opens from the side,you can put food in when you want them to go in,I always say "bed time" to mine so they know its time to go in.When you first let them out remember it will be a new world to them and they will want to explore.It always takes time to catch a bun and for them to get used to a routing.Good luck :wave:

Mine know the sound of the treat box. As I always use the same box they just know the rattle of it means treats. It's really handy for getting them places.

Back