• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

too rough any ideas, is this good?

winnies angel

Mama Doe
We have begun bonding Jack with Coco. They seem to love each other they'll lie by each other in the cages and sniff each other and kiss through bars. Whn we put them together they lie next to each other jack keeps shoving his head un der Coco for kisses but...
Hes so rough when he mounts her he sinks his teeth into her not nasty but very rough, he'll lick and groom but even though she lets him mount and just lies down he really latches on to her then when hes done hell lie beside her and lick her.
Its so bad that he actually got wrong of her she went to move and he went over the top of her landed upside down on his head but still had a hold of her neck. Her neck is very red and cut now.
Obv we dont let him do it long and try and shove him off but he has such a grip even the water suirter does not get him off so I have to nip his neck for him to leave go. I tell him hes hurting her and to kiss her instead (if we say kiss he licks us) so he does he kisses her but then when he mounts it he bites in again.
I know hes not being nasty just I dont know what to do as he is so rough any ideas?

Its still a bit hormonal.Hes confused.He still wants and feels the need.I suggest a bit longer till you try again.xxxxxx

6-8 weeks is fine after spey but hes still feeling it.It may take a while,im not entirely sure,but do watch her neck.It could abcess.
Im sure others will pop along to answer your thread and give more advice.xxx

Are you bonding in a place where either have been before or using anything which either have had contact with before.

What size space are you bonding in.

We were using the run in garden but then the rescue said try the bath which we did.
Were not having fighting they both seem fine until Jack decides to mount her and he grips with his mouth a bit too roughly

borrow an old travel cot....or even a small bunny cage.....with a top opening.

no litter trays....just hay and water....then give them something to nomm nomm........

least you can take the cot or cage with you into your lounge..kitchen...even the bedrooom...you feel less uptight...then they feel less stressed.

does hormones take 6 months to die right down...boys about 4 to 6 weeks.

food is always a distraction:lol:

We were using the run in garden but then the rescue said try the bath which we did.
Were not having fighting they both seem fine until Jack decides to mount her and he grips with his mouth a bit too roughly

When one rabbit mounts the other they will grip on using the others fur to stop them falling off. This is normal practice for rabbits.

You say he grips too roughly, how do you mean?

Perhaps I am being daft but I cannot see how they will grip less roughly than normal. Mounting is part of their dominance which they need to sort out themselves, if you throw him off he will just do it more as he needs to 'prove' he is the top bunny which will make her more sore.

If she is really that sore that you need to stop bonding, you will need to allow the nexk to heal if it is broken and then in a few weeks time restart the bonding

Back