• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny safe gardening advice

Dandelion22

Warren Scout
I want to plant some trees at the bottom of my garden to add some extra privacy since new houses have been built at the back.

My buns are free range a lot of the time (always supervised) so I was wondering what trees are ok and if there are any that are a no go for buns.

They are very nosy so I don't want anything in the garden that might harm them, even if theres only a tiny chance they could get a nibble!

Any advice will be really apprechiated. Thanks :wave:

Hazel and birch are fine, they can even nibble some of the leaves. Willow is good, too. Just make sure you protect the stem and roots with mesh, so that the bunnies don't destroy the whole tree.
Alder should be ok, and probably maples and sycamores, although I am not sure about them. They are all fast growing. I haven't read anything about rowan being toxic, but maybe someone else here knows.

Avoid laburnum, most fruit trees, especially cherry and apricot, walnut and most shrubs with dark glossy leaves.

A crabapple tree looks nice, and the only toxic bit are the apple seeds. I would think a hawthorn tree would be safe, too. There are varieties with little to no thorns, or the throns start higher up and can't harm the bunnies.

I have two alder trees in a pot, self seeded at our previous house. I have nowhere to plant them, though, as they can get quite tall.

Back