• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housebun scared of tweeting birds outside! What to do?!

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
Honey has for some reason, in the last few days, started being scared of birds singing when I have the window open... :? I realised last night, cos I got home from work and they were both hiding in their cardboard box, which was most unusual. I sat there for a bit and realised thebirds were quite loud outside, and after shutting the window Honey came out! What on earth can I do about that, I'll have to have the window open, especially with the weather getting warmer! Do you think she'll get used to it? :?

My OH has suggested playing them a bird song cd 24/7 after a few hours they'll get used to it and think of it as background noise.

thats an interesting theory - maybe if the stereo was on the floor in front of them, so that they can investigate 'the strange tweety box' - once they associate the tweeting with an inanimate non-scary box then they won't be as scared of the noises

That's a really good idea! I'll bear that in mind if I have the same problem. Roo will hopefully be moving into the lounge with Peanut soon so he's going to have lots of new noises and smells to deal with, so far he's been in my spare room which is much quieter. Not sure what i'd do about traffic noise though? I don't suppose they sell CDs of that :lol:

:wave:

Seems lots of housebuns are similar, as they dont experience the normal noises of an outdoor bun.

Biscuit HATED bird song int he mornings when he first heard them.

I left my bedroom windows open in the office while he was out and he used to stamp and get startled by birdsong.

Over time, he now just ignores it :)

Exposure. She will get used to it if you expose her to it every single day.

I also wonder if it is not the birds but something else that she can hear that you can not.... bunnies have much more sensitive hearing than us. Either way, constant exposure and positive reward from you (treats) so she makes positive associations with the noise will all help.

My dear little Nino hated many noises, whistling, singing, hiccups, coughing, planes, pram wheels etc... but it was only when constantly exposed to one of these noises over several days that he would finally stop freaking out... e.g.chest infection and constant coughing.

eric's is or has been scared of everything:roll:

breathe a bit funny while stroking him and he scarpers........he loves my allergies.not!!

as others have said, exposure to the noises will work in time. reassure bun that everythings ok but try not to overcompensate by being too jumpy if honey jumps:)

:wave:

Seems lots of housebuns are similar, as they dont experience the normal noises of an outdoor bun.

Biscuit HATED bird song int he mornings when he first heard them.

I left my bedroom windows open in the office while he was out and he used to stamp and get startled by birdsong.

Over time, he now just ignores it :)

Oh that's good to know! Olly is oblivious, think he's a bit deaf cos he seems startled when we go in room sometimes, even if we talk on the way in! But he's really chilled out and Honey's a scaredy bun! :)

That's a really good idea! I'll bear that in mind if I have the same problem. Roo will hopefully be moving into the lounge with Peanut soon so he's going to have lots of new noises and smells to deal with, so far he's been in my spare room which is much quieter. Not sure what i'd do about traffic noise though? I don't suppose they sell CDs of that :lol:

Mine is kind of the opposite, mine were both in the lounge and were used to the tv, and other noises, but now they're upstairs which is pretty much silent so they hear all noises that were drowned out before! Dreading lawnmower season!! :? And my OH plays guitar/sings in the attic, using a microphone, he hasn't done it yet since the buns have been upstairs, but he will be soon... It's not bad if it's noisy all the time, it's just when it goes from total silence to a strange sound all of a sudden!

Back