• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with Dolly's aggressive/dominant behaviour

Dolly has always been quite territorial and food aggressive ever since she was a baby. She was spayed at 6 months and she really calmed down, she would still growl and scratch if you irritated her but she was on the whole a sweet little bunny.

She lunged and scratched my face about a month back, she scratches me if i dont feed her quick enough, she growls all of the time if i pick her up to take her outside to the run. Generally, her little outbreaks seem to be getting more frequent.

She can be the sweetest little bunny. She was just flopped out on her own under the coffee table so i took the opportunity to lay near her and stoke her head and ears. She was dosing off and then Marley came over. He started nibbling my sleeve so i gave him a head rub, and Dolly went nuts!!

I just wish i knew why, she never used to be this bad. Its awful thinking shse doesnt like me, but i know thats probably not the reason. Any ideas?

ETA: Shes also taken to humping Marley again. This only used to happen when in a carrier, but now she does it regularly. She attacked him last month, i put it all down to "spring fever", but now im not so sure.

I'm having similar problems with Tilly too :( Although she refers aggression towards Cheeky if she gets nowty. No biting or suchlike just chasing and little bum nips. She wants to be boss of everything and seems to get jealous if I give attention to any of the other animals.
The only thing I can think of is there's been a few changes in the household since christmas (different set ups and new animals) so am hoping once she gets used to them it will calm down again. :)

I thought about jealousy but wasnt sure if buns acutally got jealous.

I cant understand it, could it be something about me? could it be something she wants? could it be that im treating one different to the other? I dont know, and I dont know how to go about treating her because of this behaviour either.

Does she want to be left alone? or should i be spending more time 1:1?

Its so difficult to know what to do, these are all the questions i have going around my head at the moment. I dont want to move them outside into the play house until i know the relationship between them is settled at least. Its not like their just bonded or anything.

When i said she attacked Marley, i didnt mean full locked on fight. She growled, lunged and scratched his face. Marley retreated to his hiding place - but hes actually the dominant bunny, eventhough he submits for a while when she humps him. Im just confused! :? lol

TBH I think you've answered your own question when you said 'She was dosing off and then Marley came over. He started nibbling my sleeve so i gave him a head rub, and Dolly went nuts!! ' She had you were she wanted you, doing her bidding :) and poor Marley came over and she objected to you giving him a rub :) Either she considers him or you her sole property :D For now if mine are together I treat both the same at the same time using both hands. If Tilly starts her chasing I shout her name put my hand in front of her face and say 'NO' firmly. I swear to god she's laughing at me when she binkies off shaking her head :)

TBH I think you've answered your own question when you said 'She was dosing off and then Marley came over. He started nibbling my sleeve so i gave him a head rub, and Dolly went nuts!! ' She had you were she wanted you, doing her bidding :) and poor Marley came over and she objected to you giving him a rub :) Either she considers him or you her sole property :D For now if mine are together I treat both the same at the same time using both hands. If Tilly starts her chasing I shout her name put my hand in front of her face and say 'NO' firmly. I swear to god she's laughing at me when she binkies off shaking her head :)

I do this when Dolly is digging the carpet, she either goes for my hand or runs off binkying :roll: I gave Marley a head rub with my other hand, Dolly didnt loose out. :?

Back