• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG Potato!

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
Princess has recovered from bloat :D however my mum found potato peelings in my garden when she got in and Princess nomming on one :shock: I dont know which neighbours throwing potato peeling over my fence! normally they just throw carrots and lettuce.

Surely Potato isnt ok for bunnies?? at this rate im going to have to confine the buns in the run again :(

My next door neighbour does which im ok with she sticks with carrots etc. the bunnies even hover around her fence when I let them out beause they know shes going to feed them lol but my next door neighbour hasnt done the potato as I asked her before so anther neighbour must be doing it. personally im not sure if im im ok with my buns eating potato :? and i d wonder if it as been teh potato which has given princess bloat

I have given all my bunnies potatoe peelings :shock:

tho never very often I have to say :wave:

I wish you could teach a rabbit what they can and cant eat life would be much easier!! lol il ask my neighbour to keep an eye out and let me know if she notices any of the neighbours throwing potato peel over the fence.

there seems to be mixed feeling about it on google and personally I dont feel confortable letting my buns eat it.

tell all of the neighbours just say thanks for the peelings but you have just found out potato peelings aren't good for them im shure they would rather know :)

I've only ever read that potato is bad for rabbits.

It's not poisonous as such (unless it's green) but as mentioned above, it's very starchy. Extra starch = bad for rabbits - that one of the reasons you're not meant to give cereal, bread etc. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's what caused Princess's problems.

I'm glad she is over her bloat episode though, I was thinking about ehr today and hoping she was ok :)

I have always understood that raw potato is not good for any animal although I know someone who used to give the peeling to her horse without an issue.

I note from your first post that you say your neighbour gives them lettuce? I wouldn't encourage that either.

I was always under the impression it is toxic for buns, big avoid. Maybe have a kind word with your neighbour that peelings are bad and maybe they'll be considerate? xx

i used to feed my very first housebun the crunchy skin from my baked potato..only a bit...

willow scoffed a few halves of potatoes in her time...i had to resort to using a cupboard and putting heavy stuff in front to stop her:oops:

berties had a quick nibble when my shopping comes and im busy puting it away..but he spat it out and went..yuk!

bluebells as bad as willow was.....she sees potatoes from the bag as a real treat and my potato peelings in a bowl ready for the bin up on the worktop worth trying for:shock:

there are buns whove survived heir nomming..others who havent...but once theyve eaten it theres no telling and no cure for scoffing peelings:oops:

id tell the neighbour thanks but buns have got ill...too many peelings esp the potatoes...and if its normal or iceburg lettuce then id politely say its bad for bunnies. good luck.:wave:

Potato is actually toxic, some say its just the root and he shoots, other say its all of it.
Have a word with your neighbours, explain what they can throw over and check regulary to make sure nothing else sneaked its way in :) Hopefully they will stop.

The green bits on potatoes are the most toxic ones, but even the white bits are not good to feed. I would have a word with your neighbour. Are your bunnies not supervised when they are out of their run?

Back