• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RU, I need your help!!/Updated version Post 15

Hoppit!

Wise Old Thumper
I've decided, with Easter coming up and bunnies being a popular Easter gift, to write a bit of an 'info' sheet to post on varies sites, to give prospective bunny-buyers some food for thought. It might not make any difference at all of course, but if I can help change the life of even 1 bunny it'll be worth it.

Please give your honest opinion of it. Do you think I should include pictures/vids at all, or is that over doing it?

See below.

Last edited:
Thinking of getting rabbits?

Anyone planning on getting a furry bundle or 2, perhaps for their little one’s Easter present? Read on…

Rabbits make absolutely delightful pets, but there are many things to consider before taking the plunge. First of all, despite popular belief, they aren't 'children’s' pets. That’s not to say children can’t enjoy them and learn from them, but they need to be the responsibility of the adult who buys them. ‘Running costs’ are a big factor in deciding whether buns are the right pet for your family. You will need to be financially stable, as they’re expensive critters to keep!

The most important thing a rabbit needs to keep it happy is another rabbit!! In the wild, rabbits naturally live in large groups, so it's really only fair to keep them in pairs or groups. I strongly recommend adopting a pair that have already been neutered and bonded (most rescues do this before rehoming anyway!) as this will work out cheaper and far less stressful in the long run.

Buns also need plenty of space as they're incredibly active. The hutch will need to be at least 6ft long, 2ft high and 2ft wide and ideally 2 or 3 stories high. A shed makes an ideal rabbit playground, as it's suitable for use in all weathers and predator-proof. You can also add different levels to a shed (a storage chest, chair and low, wide shelves for example) to add space and interest to their environment.

The hutch and/or shed will need a large run attached, so your rabbit can have fun and exercise outside even without supervision. This will need to be predator-proof, including having a secure lid and strong mesh buried beneath the grass to prevent anything digging in, or them digging out. A shallow box filled with sand, soil or compost is a nice addition, as this allows them to dig as they would in the wild.

Buns need some good quality toys - tunnels and boxes for hiding in are ideal, and smaller toys they can pick up and throw are important too. Wooden and other natural toys are preferable to plastic as they're less likely to cause harm when chewed, although it's best to buy specially made bunny toys, or build your own, to insure they're made from rabbit-safe materials.

Rabbits need neutering and vaccinating to keep them healthy, and preferably worming and rearguard as well. Their claws will need clipping every few weeks too. A great rabbit vet is a must, so feel free to ask them questions before signing up with a practice! Unfortunately, buns are very good at hiding illness, so you'll need to keep a close eye on them and give them a thorough check every day to insure all is well. If a rabbit stops eating, drinking, peeing or pooing it's seriously ill and will need emergency vet treatment. It's actually a good idea to get a 'rabbit first aid kit' together, just in case. A small feeding syringe and a packet or 2 of 'recovery diet' or 'critical care' are must-haves.

To prevent illness, you'll need to keep the hutch scrupulously clean. It's best to 'skip out' any dirty bedding and droppings at least twice a day, then scrub the hutch out with rabbit-safe disinfectant once a week to kill any 'nasties'. Buns pee and poo a lot, so it's best to littertrain them. Do a search for 'litter training' on a rabbit forum for hints and tips.

A limitless supply of fresh hay is essential. Hay should make up around 80-90% of a rabbit's diet, as it's vitally important in keeping their teeth and gut healthy. Pet shop hay doesn't tend to be very good quality, so check out www.thehayexperts.co.uk for a decent selection. Pellets aren't vital, but most rabbit owners feed them (about an eggcupful a day for a medium sized rabbit) to help cover dietry requirements. Pellets are preferable to mixed feed, as buns tend to pick out their favourite bits. It's best to scatter these in the hutch to provide enrichment by encouraging natural 'foraging' behaviour. It goes without saying that they need constant access to clean, fresh drinking water. In my experience buns actually prefer a bowl, but a drinking bottle will do. This needs changing at least once a day - after all, we wouldn't like to drink stale water! Veg is important too, so do a Google search for different kinds they're allowed.

While you're getting to know them, it's a good idea to hand feed them, at least with their favourite foods. Try not to pick them up from the hutch (many rabbits feel threatened by this, and can become aggressive in order to guard their 'territory') but coax them out into the run with treats before picking them up. Lie on the ground and let them come to you - it's a big confidence boost for a bunny to see you on their level, not as a scary monster towering above them. It may take a while for your new pets to bond with you, but if you keep calm and stay patient, it’ll happen.

For lots more info on bunnies, and if you have any questions, please message me or visit http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk

Last edited:
:thumb: good
perhaps you could mention that sometimes buns have already been bonded, vaccinated and litter trained at the rescue centre

:thumb: good
perhaps you could mention that sometimes buns have already been bonded, vaccinated and litter trained at the rescue centre

I did! Do you think I need to add anything to it? On the one hand I don't want it being too long, and putting people off reading it, but on the other I want to cover all the basic stuff.

Looks good for me.

Would it be worth just bullet pointing some of the key points at the beginning or as Headers so the JUMP OFF THE PAGE :D and easily noticed? Just to push the main points at a quick glance

Might I respectfully offer the following minor amendments for consideration?

Anyone planning on getting a furry bundle or two, perhaps for their little one’s Easter present? Please read on…

Rabbits make absolutely delightful pets, but there are many things to consider before taking the plunge and having them. First of all, despite popular belief, they are definitely not "children’s" pets. That’s not to say children can’t enjoy them and learn a lot from them, but they need to be the primary responsibility of the adult who buys them. It must also be appreciated that this responsibility applies for the rabbits' whole life.

‘Running costs’ are a big factor in deciding whether buns are the right pet for your family. You will need to be financially stable, as they’re expensive critters to keep!

The most important thing a rabbit needs to keep it happy is another rabbit!! In the wild, rabbits naturally live in large groups, so it's really only fair to keep them in pairs or groups. I strongly recommend adopting a pair that have already been neutered and bonded (most rescues do this before rehoming anyway!) as this will work out cheaper and far less stressful in the long run.

Buns also need plenty of space as they're incredibly active. The hutch will need to be at least 6ft long, 2ft high and 2ft wide and ideally 2 or 3 stories high. A shed makes an ideal rabbit playground, as it's suitable for use in all weathers and is predator-proof. You can also add different levels to a shed (a storage chest, chair and low, wide shelves for example) to add space and interest to their environment.

The hutch and/or shed will need a large run attached, so your rabbits can have fun and exercise outside even without supervision. This will need to be predator-proof, including having a secure lid and strong mesh buried beneath the grass to prevent anything digging in, or them digging out. A shallow box filled with sand, soil or compost is a nice addition, as this allows them to dig as they would in the wild.

Buns need some good quality toys - tunnels and boxes for hiding in are ideal, and smaller toys they can pick up and throw are important too. Wooden and other natural toys are preferable to plastic as they're less likely to cause harm when chewed, although it's best to buy specially made bunny toys, or build your own, to ensure they're made from rabbit-safe materials.

Rabbits need neutering and vaccinating to keep them healthy, and preferably worming and protected against fly-strike as well. Their claws will also need clipping every few weeks. A knowledgeable rabbit vet is a must, so feel free to ask them questions before signing up with a practice! Unfortunately, buns are very good at hiding illness, so you'll need to keep a close eye on them and give them a thorough check every day to ensure all is well. If a rabbit stops eating, drinking, peeing or pooing it's seriously ill and will need emergency vet treatment. The phrase, "I'll see how they are in the morning" does not apply to rabbits - they could die in this time. It's actually a good idea to get a 'rabbit first aid kit' together, just in case. A small feeding syringe and a packet or 2 of 'recovery diet' or 'critical care' are must-haves.

To prevent illness, you'll need to keep the hutch scrupulously clean. It's best to 'skip out' any dirty bedding and droppings at least twice a day, then scrub the hutch out with rabbit-safe disinfectant once a week to kill any 'nasties'. Buns pee and poo a lot (it's how their bodies work), so it's best to litter-train them. Do a search for 'litter training' on a rabbit forum for hints and tips.

A limitless supply of fresh hay is essential. Hay should make up around 80-90% of a rabbit's diet, as it's vitally important in keeping their teeth and gut healthy. Pet shop hay doesn't tend to be very good quality, so check out www.thehayexperts.co.uk (or similar websites) for a decent selection. Pellets aren't vital, but most rabbit owners feed them (about an eggcupful a day for a medium-sized rabbit) to help cover dietary requirements. Pellets are preferable to mixed feed, as buns tend to pick out their favourite bits and leave the rest. It's best to scatter these in the hutch to provide enrichment by encouraging natural 'foraging' behaviour. It goes without saying that they need constant access to clean, fresh drinking water. In my experience buns actually prefer a bowl, but a drinking bottle will do. This needs changing at least once a day - after all, we wouldn't like to drink stale water! Veg is important too, so do a Google search for different kinds they're allowed.

While you're getting to know them, it's a good idea to hand feed them, at least with their favourite foods. Try not to pick them up from the hutch (many rabbits feel threatened by this, and can become aggressive in order to guard their 'territory') but coax them out into the run with treats before picking them up. Lie on the ground and let them come to you - it's a big confidence boost for a bunny to see you on their level, not as a scary monster towering above them. It may take a while for your new pets to bond with you, but if you keep calm and stay patient, it’ll happen.

Always think before you buy - the rabbit's life depends on your care.

If you don't think that you can make the necessary commitment for your rabbits' whole life - then don't buy them.

Well done you!! :wave:

I would also add in WHEN buns should be neutered & spayed..... AND The importance of having a rabbit savvy vet double check the sex of 'pet shop' buns in particular also...

Additionally.... The fact that patio's can provide a great area for a permanent run - it doesn't have to be grass...

You are certainly going along the right lines though - so big binkys from here :D xx

Now why did nobody tell me all this before I got my first bun! And the fact that it costs me anything from £60 - £200 a month depending on vaccs etc. I thought a few quid on a bag of food and hay lol.

Thanks for the input peeps! :D I want it to be as effective as possible! I should also mention lifespan in there somewhere - I think most people think buns only live a couple of years!

Working on it right now... any other suggestions?

Also, d'ya think I should delete that last paragraph, about bonding with them? After all, I'm trying to get people to think twice, and it sounds a bit like I'm encouraging them...?

Thanks for the input peeps! :D I want it to be as effective as possible! I should also mention lifespan in there somewhere - I think most people think buns only live a couple of years!

Working on it right now... any other suggestions?

It sounds really good so far, I was trying to talk sombody I know out of getting a rabbit for there kids recently if it comes up again I might print this off for them if thats alright. The only thing I'd say though is where you say they are expensive critters could you include an average of how much a rabbit costs each year in terms of food, jabs check ups etc. Then mention how many years they can live for. I think that will looking at how much that £30 bunny in p@h actualy will cost you over its lifetime will definatly make people think twice.

It sounds really good so far, I was trying to talk sombody I know out of getting a rabbit for there kids recently if it comes up again I might print this off for them if thats alright. The only thing I'd say though is where you say they are expensive critters could you include an average of how much a rabbit costs each year in terms of food, jabs check ups etc. Then mention how many years they can live for. I think that will looking at how much that £30 bunny in p@h actualy will cost you over its lifetime will definatly make people think twice.

Course you can charl! :D Just let me perfect it first! Great idea about average annual costs, I'll look into it.

Last edited:

Anyone planning on getting a furry bundle or two, perhaps for their little one’s Easter present? Please read on…

A family commitment

Rabbits make absolutely delightful pets, but there are many things to consider before taking the plunge and having them. First of all, despite popular belief, they are definitely not "children’s" pets. That’s not to say children can’t enjoy them and learn a lot from them, but they need to be the primary responsibility of the adult who buys them. It must also be appreciated that this responsibility applies for the rabbits' whole life, which could be 8 years or more.

Expense

You will need to be financially stable, as they’re expensive critters to keep! A good quality setup (it will be far more cost effective to pay for a hutch that will last, rather than keep replacing it) will cost around £150 - £200 for a hutch or shed, and a further £50 - £150 for an attached run. Littertrays, toys, a hutch cover, and other basic necessities will come to between £20 - £50. Overall, it will cost around £350 to set up the rabbits’ living area. ‘Running costs’ are a big factor in deciding whether buns are the right pet for your family. A pair of healthy rabbits will cost, on average, between £500 - £800 a year to keep. This figure doesn't include any unexpected vets fees.

A companion

The most important thing a rabbit needs to keep it happy is another rabbit! In the wild, rabbits naturally live in large groups, so it's really only fair to keep them in pairs or groups. I strongly recommend adopting a pair that have already been neutered, vaccinated and bonded (most rescues do this before rehoming anyway!) as this will work out cheaper and far less stressful in the long run. Guinea pigs do not make appropriate companions, and in fact keeping the 2 species together can lead to horrific injuries and much misery.

Space to play

Buns also need plenty of space as they're incredibly active. The hutch will need to be at least 6ft long, 2ft high and 2ft wide and ideally 2 or 3 stories high. A shed makes an ideal rabbit playground, as it's suitable for use in all weathers and is predator-proof. You can also add different levels to a shed (a storage chest, chair and low, wide shelves for example) to add space and interest to their environment.

The hutch and/or shed will need a large run attached, so your rabbits can have fun and exercise outside even without supervision. This will need to be predator-proof, including having a secure lid and strong mesh buried beneath the grass to prevent anything digging in, or them digging out. Alternatively, the run can be placed on patio which cannot be dug up. A shallow box filled with sand, soil or compost is a nice addition, as this allows them to dig as they would in the wild.

Enrichment

Buns need some good quality toys - tunnels and boxes for hiding in are ideal, and smaller toys they can pick up and throw are important too. Wooden and other natural toys are preferable to plastic as they're less likely to cause harm when chewed, although it's best to buy specially made bunny toys, or build your own, to ensure they're made from rabbit-safe materials.

Neutering

It is vitally important that, if you have bought unneutered rabbits from a breeder or petshop, they be re-sexed by an experienced vet. Neutering should take place at around 4 months for a male, and 6 months for a female. An unspayed female will almost certainly develop uterine cancer, while unneutered bucks have an unpleasant odour. ‘Entire’ rabbits are also likely to spray, mount, fight each other and become aggressive towards humans. A male/female pair will also mate, which will of course produce unwanted and often unhealthy offspring. Rabbits of opposite gender will need to be kept separate from the age of 10 weeks, and until 6 weeks after they’ve been neutered. Same sex pairs will also need to be separated at the first sign of aggression towards each other. They can be rebonded 6 weeks post-op too, on neutral ground. Bonding is a very delicate process which must be researched well before being attempted. Some rescue centres will bond your rabbits for you, for a small donation.

Other healthcare requirements

Rabbits need vaccinating to keep them healthy, and preferably worming and protecting against fly-strike as well. Their claws will also need clipping every few weeks. A knowledgeable rabbit vet is a must, so feel free to ask them questions before signing up with a practice! Unfortunately, buns are very good at hiding illness, so you'll need to keep a close eye on them and give them a thorough check every day to ensure all is well. If a rabbit stops eating, drinking, peeing or pooing it's seriously ill and will need emergency vet treatment. The phrase, "I'll see how they are in the morning" does not apply to rabbits - they could die in this time. It's actually a good idea to get a 'rabbit first aid kit' together, just in case. A small feeding syringe and a packet or 2 of 'recovery diet' or 'critical care' are must-haves.

To prevent illness, you'll need to keep the hutch scrupulously clean. It's best to 'skip out' any dirty bedding and droppings at least twice a day, then scrub the hutch out with rabbit-safe disinfectant once a week to kill any 'nasties'. Buns pee and poo a lot (it's how their bodies work), so it's best to litter-train them. Do a search for 'litter training' on a rabbit forum for hints and tips.

Diet

A limitless supply of fresh hay is essential. Hay should make up around 80-90% of a rabbit's diet, as it's vitally important in keeping their teeth and gut healthy. Pet shop hay doesn't tend to be very good quality, so check out www.thehayexperts.co.uk (or similar websites) for a decent selection. Pellets aren't vital, but most rabbit owners feed them (about an eggcupful a day for a medium-sized rabbit) to help cover dietary requirements. Pellets are preferable to mixed feed, as buns tend to pick out their favourite bits and leave the rest. It's best to scatter these in the hutch to provide enrichment by encouraging natural 'foraging' behaviour. It goes without saying that they need constant access to clean, fresh drinking water. In my experience buns actually prefer a bowl, but a drinking bottle will do. This needs changing at least once a day - after all, we wouldn't like to drink stale water! Veg is important too, so do a Google search for different kinds they're allowed.

(((I need another paragraph here!)))

Always think before you buy - the rabbit's life depends on your care.

If you don't think that you can make the necessary commitment for your rabbits' whole life - then don't buy them.

Last edited:
I need another paragraph there at the end. I can't just leap from giving advice on their diet to saying 'SO DON'T DO IT!'. What can I put there that's sort of discouraging to irresponsible owners, but encouraging to serious ones?

I need another paragraph there at the end. I can't just leap from giving advice on their diet to saying 'SO DON'T DO IT!'. What can I put there that's sort of discouraging to irresponsible owners, but encouraging to serious ones?

How about a paragraph on 'Still want to go ahead? Rabbits can seriously enhance your life!' taking some quotations from the 'how rabbits have changed my life' thread? You'd have to ask the contributors whether they'd be happy with this.

How about a paragraph on 'Still want to go ahead? Rabbits can seriously enhance your life!' taking some quotations from the 'how rabbits have changed my life' thread? You'd have to ask the contributors whether they'd be happy with this.

Do you have a link for that thread? I did a search but couldn't find it.

Back