• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits off to the vet in storage boxes?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
I've spent more time than usual in my vets recently and in the past week I've seen two people come in with rabbits being held in plastic storage boxes (with no lids).

Is this normal? It makes me wonder what the bunnies homes are like when folk can't even buy a £15 carrier to take bunny to the vet in. Surely a rabbit could, if it really wanted to, jump out?

The chap that was in today was proudly telling others in the room how he had a rabbit live 4 years after a dog attack. He never took it to the vet and it apparently dragged its head along the ground after it had been bitten. Poor thing had to suffer that for 4 years on its own.:cry:

When he went in to be seen I rung my boyfriend and told him what the guy had said while giving my (low) opinion in a voice loud enough to be heard by everyone else in the waiting room. :(

not nescessarily the babies go in an orange storage bin as they keep trying to shove there heads through the bars im petrified theyll break theyre necks:?

its quite normal at our practice not advised but some people just don't take their rabbits to vet often enough to warrant a proper basket

I take mine in a cardboard box. I'm intending to buy a carrier (and actually have a small carrier the girls will fit in) just no point wasting money on one that's not right and it's hard to find the perfect one :lol:

It does strike me as odd that they'd be in tubs they could just jump out of though. Sounds more like the owner is an imbecile than too poor to afford a carrier.
On the upside at least these buns were being taken to the vet for whatever the issue was. There are a lot of people that would let an animal suffer or go without vaccinations and I'm sure they'd be in this group if they really didn't care about the rabbits.

its quite normal at our practice not advised but some people just don't take their rabbits to vet often enough to warrant a proper basket

That's a shame, you'd think that given folk are supposed to take their rabbits to a vet at least 3 times a year for vacs people would buy a secure carrier (or even just ensure they have a lid) to take them in for their own saftey.

I used to use a storage box with no lid before I bought a carrier for Honey and Treacle:oops: They were Nethies though so couldn't jump out easily
At least the people are taking them to the vet!

I used to take my bridge bunny in one of those cardboard pet carriers. :oops: Luckily he wasn't a chewer! :shock:

I was in the vet once about a year ago and a woman came in holding a bunny in her arms - all the dogs in the waiting room were very interested.

Unfortunately at my practice a lot if owners don't vaccinate I'm slowly educating them but for every 5 bunnies you'll be lucky if 2 are vaccinated. It's ridiculous :evil:

This is not necessarily that bad. I used to take Kermit into the vets in a storage box. Because of his head tilt i found it easier to roll up towels round the sides and place him in the middle. He was easier to list in from above.

The one time i tried to put him in a carrier her rolled uncontrollably :(

This is not necessarily that bad. I used to take Kermit into the vets in a storage box. Because of his head tilt i found it easier to roll up towels round the sides and place him in the middle. He was easier to list in from above.

The one time i tried to put him in a carrier her rolled uncontrollably :(

But that's you doing what's best for your bunny, so I don't find this odd at all.

We have a carrier for each bunny for vet trips, and also (I know this sounds very sad) but if we ever had to leave quickly in an emergency, we would be able to get them out too quickly and safely.
Ours would be out of a box in seconds - they're too curious!

I used to take Joe to the vets in a cardboard carrier box then we moved house and i binned it and a week later he had to be rushed to the vets in an emergency and we had to take him in a storage box, it meant i could stroke him in the car but i put a big towel over the top to take him into the vets with and he was taken straight through into a room....I bought a proper carrier after that

Biscuit's first and second trip to the vets was in a regular cardboard box with a towel in the bottom :oops:

I didn tknow as much back then, i never thought id need to take him to the vets, so i never thought of buying a carrier...

I guess you have to take the positives from a situatin that you dont know everything about...at least he took the bunny to the vets. Thats more than lots of poor buns get :cry:

Back