• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panic advice please **urgent**

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
I have a tendancy to panic and make a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to my bunnies so before I make a call to the emergency vets please can you advise whether I am over reacting

Leo has been staying still / not wanting to move much. Now I know why, when I tried to get him downstairs he seems to run in circles and be off balance. I got his favourite treat and held it just above his head to confirm and he was too off balance to reach for it.

What on earth can be wrong??

I feel really guilty they had their first day outside yesterday in the run. I left them on their own for several hours.

Help

Yup, off to the emergency vets. One would suspect something like head tilt, likely caused by an ear infection. Could be other things though.

Yup, off to the emergency vets. One would suspect something like head tilt, likely caused by an ear infection. Could be other things though.

Is that EC?

I wormed them a few months ago

Or is head tilt something else?

I have un opened anti inflamatory drug from vets for when I rushed Jemima to the vets as she was limping, she was cured after vet said nothing was wrong.

This is why I am trying not to jump on the phone straight away as I am known to rush them in for no reason.

maybe a bit of a over eaction but not to much if I was a bun (no offence) i wouldnt want to go down the stairs but if he normally does i think you should just check online first and not go to the emergency vets unless anything else happens.

Is that EC?

I wormed them a few months ago

Or is head tilt something else?

I have un opened anti inflamatory drug from vets for when I rushed Jemima to the vets as she was limping, she was cured after vet said nothing was wrong.

This is why I am trying not to jump on the phone straight away as I am known to rush them in for no reason.

There's different theories on that. I personally believe the majority of cases of head tilt are caused by ear infection or severe ear mites. Head tilt is the symptom. The root cause needs to be established.

He will likely needs anti inflammatories, antibiotics, some vets prescribe Panacur (again, debateable), and he may also need an antidizzy drug.

i have the anti inflamatory
he has already had panacur

it does look like it is to do with his ears, he is just not himself and i saw this straight away. my OH didnt realise and said i was being paranoid until he fell over and kept walking in cirlces.

what would happen if i took him in first thing in the morning rather than the emergency vet? I am all for emergency vet but its not a problem taking him in first thing. He is eating and seems ok other wise.

sorry for bad grammar etc am rushing

The sooner he gets treatment, the better. With something like this you shouldn't medicate unless you know what you're dealing with, and in case you give somethng that messes up different treatment (such as if your vet wants to use a steroid which some do- although mine would never).

Back