• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Knawing Obsession & Not Eating Much

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Further on to my earlier post re possible heat stroke yesterday:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=277660

Dylan seems to have been on a knawing mission today - yellow pages, his lino, his toys etc. - going mad for it.
He's also eating less since last nights Vets treatment - not interested in todays pellets (which he usually loves) but has eaten some dandelion leaves, grass & carrot treats. He has plentiful hay but seems to prefer his straw bed unfortunately. Hence poos are small & not plentiful at mo :?

I wondered whether teeth causing irritation/pain can make buns start knawing more than normal if the back teeth are causing problems? His front teeth are fine.

Am going back to check him in half an hour to see what he's eaten and if food still not gone looks like it'll be recovery food time :roll:
So all in all, with yesterdays diagnosis confusing me, a lesser appetite but seemingly bright bunny = a very anxious bunny mummy!

Any thoughts appreciated.

I'd just put it the other way round - caecal issues, then teeth.
You could try him on blackberry leaves today which are a much safer fiber than the things he's gnawing on & also help caecal motility while you're waiting to see the vet.

(The hedge on the W'borough - Sywell road used to be full of them near the turn off to the reservoir a long time ago.)

I'd just put it the other way round - caecal issues, then teeth.
You could try him on blackberry leaves today which are a much safer fiber than the things he's gnawing on & also help caecal motility while you're waiting to see the vet.

(The hedge on the W'borough - Sywell road used to be full of them near the turn off to the reservoir a long time ago.)[/QUOTE]

Dont think it is anymore :( they also pulled them all down along the side of Hardwick road, heading into town.

But there is some bramble bushes down the cycle path which comes off of Sywell Road, between the 2 Medways :wave: if you want some help let me know

How is Dylan today?

Apologies for the delayed reply - an update on Dyaln: On Friday, Vet gave him a thorough examination including with the otoscope & felt his teeth were ok. All he could feel in his tum was a tiny mass ? hairball, so suggested pineapple & gave him metoclopromide jab.
Since then he is back to eating his pellets, curly kale, grass and oat straw. He is taking the pineapple & his poos are looking really good. I am going to keep a very close eye on him & it looks like I'll have to get foraging for woody leaves as recc. by thumps :wave: :)

Apologies for the delayed reply - an update on Dyaln: On Friday, Vet gave him a thorough examination including with the otoscope & felt his teeth were ok. All he could feel in his tum was a tiny mass ? hairball, so suggested pineapple & gave him metoclopromide jab.
Since then he is back to eating his pellets, curly kale, grass and oat straw. He is taking the pineapple & his poos are looking really good. I am going to keep a very close eye on him & it looks like I'll have to get foraging for woody leaves as recc. by thumps :wave: :)

I had the same problem with my girl Bobby on Fri, took her to the vet she had pain relief and some syrup type thing.

I think it was moult myself

I had the same problem with my girl Bobby on Fri, took her to the vet she had pain relief and some syrup type thing.

I think it was moult myself

Hi Shelly,

They are a worry aren't they?! He seems back to normal now (although is being closely monitored) but I've made myself poorly with all the worry & stress from it all! :roll:
Hope Bobby is well on the mend.

Hi Shelly,

They are a worry aren't they?! He seems back to normal now (although is being closely monitored) but I've made myself poorly with all the worry & stress from it all! :roll:
Hope Bobby is well on the mend.

I have been exactly the same, i was so stressed I cracked a tooth whilst nashing my teeth. I would feel better if I knew why it happened. yes she is on the mend, my bf finishes work at 2 so he will let her out for a fuss. She also has carlo as her very nice nurse

Back