• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit friendly trees

Tiabrac

Alpha Buck
I want to plant some new trees in the garden but they must be safe for my buns.

Any ideas?
Which ones grow the fastest?
Which ones have most interest throughout the year?

Any advice gratefully received. :wave:

i go for shrubs and bushes rather than trees
hibiscus/lavatera, hebe are quite quick growers
then you got hollyhocks a firm favorite with mine although not trees they get big
lavendar, heather stay smaller
for colour get some calendula/pot marigold (not french or african) campanula, evening primrose
but if you really want trees go for apple or willow
buddleia flowers for a long time too

How big do you want the trees to be?

Also, a lot of plants can look either like a tree or a bush depending how you prune them. For example you can get standard roses which have a trunk like a tree and then roses on top. You can also have willow pruned the same way or more like a bush. Some of the coloured willows are good for winter interest.

Whatever ou plant will need the trunk protecting from lose bunnies ;)

our lidl will be having garden offers...theres a dwarf willow tree for £6.99 i think...i have always wanted one....

i have buddlia.....the buns love it for sleeping under in the summer..till we drag them back in later in the evening:lol:

I would like them to be about 6ft or a bit taller not huge though. Fussy I know :oops:

I have Buddlia is it safe for buns I've always kept them away. :?

nope its fine..i used to think that too!!
if youve grown it in a pot and prune it often and cut back to woody bit in the winter...should be ok!

lavender bushes...rosemary bushes.......hows about tubs of cawwits....:lol:

nope its fine..i used to think that too!!
if youve grown it in a pot and prune it often and cut back to woody bit in the winter...should be ok!

lavender bushes...rosemary bushes.......hows about tubs of cawwits....:lol:

I have Lavender but I hadn't thought about growing rosemary into a bush I have it in hanging baskets and snip it off for them. What are cawwits??

Hazel is tough and bunny safe. Have a big copper Hazel at the end of my tiny garden. It was like a bush when we moved in, have heavily pruned it into a tree now though! And Hazel nuts are edible too.

It is just sticks in the winter though. Then February it gets catkins and the leaves are coming out now.

Willow trees can get enormous.

How about Rowan or Hawthorn? Both come in different varieties and different sizes.

I like Pauls Scarlet for Hawthorn as the flowers are cerise pink. My rowan is lovely too - it's called Pink Pagoda and has pale pearly pink berries rather than the red ones and the leaves are shaded dark grey/green to pink. Both can be quite big but are statement plants. Both safe of course.:D

I also have cobnut which I have coppiced in one area to keep getting smaller thinner stems, but have let it grow into tree shapes in anothe spot providing lots of screening and bunny safe leaves for eating. The stems are very popular.

Back