• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Do You Think It Was Heat Stroke?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
Dylan became poorly quite quickly yesterday. He had been fine and when i went down to clean out his litter tray he still seemed himself. About 10 minutes later though he started flopping on his side, breathing very rapidly (heart pounding) & his ears were really hot. He kept getting up to scratch his ears like he was irritated and then flopping down on his side again. I looked in his ears (they were clean and clear) and due to his breathing I knew something was wrong so rushed him down to the Vets.

My Vet said he thought it was heat stroke due to his symptoms which I couldn't understand as although it was definately warmer yesterday his cabin was airy. The Vet admitted him to put him into their air conditioned cage in order to cool him down. I collected him 2 hours later when a very normal (& cheeky) bunny greeted me. The Vet said his tummy was fine so not stasis/bloat (has had before) and he had given him an antibiotic injection just in case an underlying infection had caused it.
I'm keeping an eye on him & airing the cabin as much as possible but am still a bit dumbfounded at the diagnosis as last year when we had a heatwave he was absoloutely fine!
Could it simply be that he hasn't yet acclimatised as we were having frosts at night just the other week?
Also he doesn't seem to have any sign of moult, even though I'd expect him to be moulting by now.
Any suggestions anyone?
Does it sound like typical heat stroke (as never had a bun suffer from it before)?

Ive already given my thoughts on this, just wondering, do you have a ice pod that you can give him so he can cool down?

Beano got heat stroke last summer, she was breathing very quickly, her nose was twitching very fast, she was lied out against her cage bars, her ears were very hot and she didn't have the energy to move and wasn't interested in anything

Back