• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

For undermeshing the bottom of runs for grass...

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Do i need 1/2" x1/2" or 1"x1/2" or 1"x1"?

Will buns without any feet problems- i.e sore hocks be okay on a mesh bottom run- if it is given say a week for the grass to grow through abit? Or is this exercise entirely pointless and is best for the buns to stay on concrete?

Any thoughts?
Thanks.

I used 1x1 14g, but I laid soil, then turf on mine so buns aren't on actual wire, they on turf & soil.

Sore hocks may be bothered by concrete or wire, or wet grass. You could get some equine rubber matting for over concrete?

Can you lay the mesh underneath the turf?

I would keep to the same mesh as I use for the sides, 1/2inch x 1inch 19guage

Can you lay the mesh underneath the turf?

I would keep to the same mesh as I use for the sides, 1/2inch x 1inch 19guage

It's a rented property so i don't want to go digging up the garden as i'm not sure how my landlords would feel about that.

If it's just better to keep them on concrete then move them on grass for the occasional times i can be with them, i can do that.

I just thought it would be nice for them to have a permanent grass location that i don't have to supervise.

Would it do any harm them being on a 1/2 by 1 inch mesh do you think? Obviously not buns with sore hocks- i only have one at the moment and he is indoors on lots of hay and doing well. He is on lino otherwise which again doesn't seem to trouble him.

Ah that reminds me i bought some equine matting and left it at my last house :( Will have to invest in some more :)

I use chicken wire under my buns run,but wondering if i could cover that in a lino? but then that would kill off the grass :?:?

I used chicken wire and then laid soil and turf on top. I wouldn;t put mesh directly on the grass.

Buns with feet problems shouldn't be on mesh or concrete. Our out door buns with sore hocks have thick hay in their entire run, but it needs changing regularly especially in winter which is expensive

Exactly. TBH if you put mesh over the top and the grass grows through and you then need to pull it up you will wreck the grass anyway!

I rent and have the mesh under turf. I will just lay down some new turf when I leave. They can't complain about that.

Back