• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you pick your buns up alot or avoid if you can help it?

Do you pick your buns up alot or avoid doing so as they are prey animals?

• Yes i pick my bun up all the time- they love cuddles

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • No i don't pick my bun up regularly- they don't like cuddles

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Yes i pick my bun up by hand when i want to pick him/her up

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • No i use a carrier to pick up my buns where possible so they feel safer when being transported

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I just do general routine stuff - clipping nails, bum checks etc- try not to pick if unneccessary

Votes: 27 52.9%
  • I try and handle them-to get them to like being handled even though it does aggrevate them sometimes

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

Ambience

Warren Veteran
As most buns don't like being off the ground due to being prey animals. I wonder how many people take this into consideration when keeping them as pets.

Do you tend to pick your bun up alot for cuddles- do they like it, or does it aggravate them sometimes?

Do you try let your buns live as naturally as possible by picking them up infrequently for routine stuff like nail clipping, health checks etc and grooming?

Do you use a carrier when transporting them or do you pick them up and hold them and carry them to where you want to go?

poll to follow. Multiple choice- Pick all that apply if you have several buns who have different handling methods. Thanks.

Last edited:
Ginger gets picked up a lot - she loves human attention and will often jump into your arms for a cuddle/fuss.

Biscuit is very rarely ever picked up. He hates being held.

Oliver - likes a cuddle
Tibbsy - will tolerate being held for a min or so
Maisey - panics unless her eyes are covered and held firmly
Echo - would scratch my eyes out to get down if I wasn't careful!

So...umm...bit of a mixed bag there! :roll: :lol::lol:

ETA: I chose the 'essential health checks only' poll answer, as for the majority of mine, this is the only time I will pick them up.

Last edited:
i know scooter doesnt like and even though id love a cuddle its not fair on him so i only handle when need and if im picking him up out of his cage its to put him on my bed so he can have a run around if hes going out side in a pen i use a carrier cause i cant keep a hold of him for very long he manages to get out of my grip.:(

Daily check ups only. Unless one of them is being bad, then they might get a cuddle to calm them down.

I pick Sebastian up almost every day, he looooves having cuddles and will tell me when he has had enough. Mae I only pick up when I need to (bum checks, moving her somewhere, seperate feeding) she doesnt like being picked up, some days she will tolerate it but others she just tries to attack me :roll:

Very much depends on the bunny. Some of ours love a cuddle the others I never pick up unless absolutely necessary as they hate it and I respect that:wave:

buddy is a snuggle bun but he comes to me, i sit on the floor and he climbs up to me most of the time. if i do pick him up he never struggles or panics and just snuggles down for the attention. :love:

blousy loves being stroked but isn't keen on being picked up and will go out of her way to avoid it. i only pick her up for bum checks etc..

tallulah is happy to be picked up but won't stay with you like bud does, she tollerates the checks then starts looking for a way down!

i don't make a habit of picking them up if it isn't neccesarry. i always transport them in a carrier, even from the shed to the house. i'd hate for me to loose one!

Pie hates it and really struggles. But is getting a lot better now she has to take meds everyday. But only OH can hold her as she struggle so much.

Obie loves to be picked up and hugged (so long as you're not standing up - that scares him a bit). But hates being put on his back, he struggle worse than Pie.

Basil loves cuddles and gets in temper if he doesn't get one when he wants it. He likes to sit on my lap on his special blanket and for me to stroke him constantly. In return I get lots of licks and I can hear the little sounds he makes when he is contented. If I stop stroking at any point, he gets cross again and scratches the blanket to remind me to get on with it!:roll::lol:

I only pick them up to take them to their run and back. Otherwise I'd have no arms left...they enjoy ripping skin :roll:

I have to pick Inca up to clean her 'bits' but i also pick her up any time she runs to me when i am at the computer, i sit her on my knee.

Herbie, well thats a whole different story!!

Both Dizzi and Rascal love a good fuss (that'll be me down at their level doing exactly what they want then) but hate being picked up ....... so I only do it when necessary!

This morning, after my shower (and after I'd sprayed my arms and chest with moisturising oil) I noticed Dizzi had something in her eye and couldn't quite see whilst she was sat down - so picked her up to check.

She let me get it out and didn't wriggle but thumped at me when I put her down!! I was absolutely covered in fur - all stuck to my lovely moisturised arms n chest!!! :lol: (she probably ran off laughing thinking - that'll teach her)! :lol:

Buster loves being stroked and he will nudge my are or hand so i stroke his head or behind his ears but he rally struggles when i pick him up. He will settle down but i can tell he's waiting for a chance to jump or get away so i dont pick him up unless i have to

only time i pick up Alvin is to force feed him water and metacam when he has stopped eating. i can get him into the carrier voluntarily when its time to go to the vets.

Ste will sometimes pick him up so that i can pluck his feet when they get those fur balls.

Holly i pick up only to put her into the carrier, shes even faster to get away than Alvin and twice as violent when held :lol:

Pearl was easy to handle but even then i only picked her up when it was needed sadly at the end of her life it became 3 times daily and i felt evil :cry: :cry:

If they want cuddles they will come over and sit on my lap so I don't pick them up unnecessarily. I use carriers to transport them to their runs. I could carry the lops but it's safer this way and they have the carriers to hide in if they feel it necessary. So only when grooming, clipping nails and bum checks.

Back