• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bunny is poorly I think help?

andy5898

Warren Scout
My little lad Roger is not himself. Since about 8pm last night when he had a cuddle he doesn't seem to have moved in his hutch. His breathing was very rapid last night but this morning it has slowed down. However he seems tired and just not right. His wife seems quite concerned too as she keeps patting him and nudging his ears with her nose. But he doesn't seem to want to know.

I am planning on taking him to the vet this morning as I don't think he has eaten anything since last night either. Would others take him to the vet now or would they wait? I just concerned the fact he isn't eating and seems to find everything so much effort which includes just lieing down.

My little lad Roger is not himself. Since about 8pm last night when he had a cuddle he doesn't seem to have moved in his hutch. His breathing was very rapid last night but this morning it has slowed down. However he seems tired and just not right. His wife seems quite concerned too as she keeps patting him and nudging his ears with her nose. But he doesn't seem to want to know.

I am planning on taking him to the vet this morning as I don't think he has eaten anything since last night either. Would others take him to the vet now or would they wait? I just concerned the fact he isn't eating and seems to find everything so much effort which includes just lieing down.

He DEFINITELY needs to see a Vet this morning. The rapid breathing last night may have been due to pain, possibly abdominal. The not eating is a major concern,especially if he has not passed any feces either.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Personally I would arrange an appointment for as soon as possible after the Vet opens. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Thanks for that. I just going to get sorted phone work to say I wont be in until late and then we going to vets.

I hate the feeling of knowing there is something wrong with my little dude but I don't know what. He is normally so happy he has his little wife who he loves more than anything and he is just lieing there and his wife is nudging him but all he feels like doing is curling up to her.

Why does 8.30 not hurry up so I can phone the vets! As you, can tell I quite concerned. :cry:

9.05 my appointment with vets so least it early so hopefully get things sorted.

I don't' want to be pessimistic and i hope it's nothing, but please do give him a love and tell him how much you love him this morning. If his life energy feels low, he may just want to say goodbye to you before he goes. I hope it's just stasis etc, but you never can be too sure and this is what happened to one of my buns before she passed away. I hope you get him to the vet and they can help him. Again i hope i haven't hurt your feelings, but i know that would be important for you even in all the panic of him not being very well this morning. xxx

Good luck at the vets - if nothing else, please make sure your bunny gets given pain relief! Obviously what else they get given will depend on what the vet finds, but sometimes they get given a gut stimulant to get things moving again (only if the vet is sure there is no blockage) or they may want to keep him in and give him fluids if he is dehydrated. But whatever the vet thinks, please insist on pain relief! Good luck xx

Good luck at the vets - if nothing else, please make sure your bunny gets given pain relief! Obviously what else they get given will depend on what the vet finds, but sometimes they get given a gut stimulant to get things moving again (only if the vet is sure there is no blockage) or they may want to keep him in and give him fluids if he is dehydrated. But whatever the vet thinks, please insist on pain relief! Good luck xx

Ditto this, alot of vets don't like to give it. You really do have to insist sometimes. They give my lot caprieve, but commonly used is metacam.

The vet says he thinks he a bit bunged up as his guts are a bit quiet. So he has given him an injection and we have some medicine which he has to take 3 times a day. So hopefully he will feel better shortly.

:wave: is he feeling any better now? poor sausage:cry: try tapping his face lightly with parsley as this annoys them into eating it:oops::lol: and parsley is good for digestion too.(if hes had it before but dont give him it if he hasnt)
shredded carrot is good to make them eat too;)

Same is happening with Wesley, the bun I re-homed from A RU rescue. :(

He has stopped eating before but started again after a vet visit. Had him there yesterday morning and they gave him 4 jabs including pain relief, antibiotics, stuff to get his gut going and something else. He's eaten very small amounts; bit of grass and a few dandelion leaves, then stopped and looks uncomfortable. At least he's had a bit of water, too.

Vet yesterday (not normal bun savvy vet) was going on about possible xrays (£140!) etc, yet when I spoke to a vet I know down south she scorned that idea and said it was most important to get fibre into him and that their practice hold liquid forms that they use. :roll:

If no better I'll have to take him back later today. :(

:lol::lol::lol:In the past when Charlie has stopped eating we too have poked so much food infront of his nose that he gets angry and chews and bites it.. you can almost hear him saying 'ALRIGHT I'm eating aren't I? '

good luck with the recovery :wave:

Back