• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insulation?

Wonder if anyone can help me? Saw someone had put the name of some insulation you can buy which is very similar to the scratch and newton hutch snuggle (keeps hutch cool in summer and warm in winter). They are just so expensive (£70 and that only fits the top floor of my large hutches) so would rather cover the hutches myself. Any ideas guys? Any help appreciated x

Hi didnt want to read and run a lot of people use the insulation from DIY thats like bubble wrap but with foil coating i was worried about my bunnies over the winter but couldnt afford to line ours but i did use bubble wrap for roof but not sure it made any diff the temps we were having lol but with plenty of fleece they survived in our shed bless we have a large opening window so not worried about keeping cool ours actually love the hot sun :roll: i open the window and they go down to the floor where its warm i shut the window and the sleep sprawled out on shelf against window they are funny buns.

but back to your original question look in the diy you will spot it not sure if you were meaning a specific one for hutches though? :wave:

Not used on shed or kennel only on outside of hutch which then had a waterproof cover over so insulation not exposed to weather. I used a staple gun to fix it.

i used the bubble wrap foil and made myself a cover. I was so pleased with myself, i measured it and i actually sewed it and then covered all of the seams with waterproof tape. it has lasted all winter as well!

the foil is really good stuff and has a load of good uses, like putting it on your car windscreen overnight stops the frost forming outside and inside!

Thank you

Thank you so much for the help. I am waiting on a quote from a guy who makes hutch covers and insulators to measure a lot cheaper than the scratch and newton ones. Otherwise I will sort it myself, might even use the sewing machine I had for Christmas two years ago unused and covered in dust-oops. Can't believe Scratch and Newton do not make them large enough, they took away the 'bespoke' option on their website! All they seem to do is make them to fit Pets at home hutches. No wonder so many bunnies end up in small hutches eh? x

I used some of this called Thermawrap. You just staple it with a heavy duty staple gun onto the insides of the hutch/shed, then nail plywood over it.

Alternatively, straw is a good insulator. I've put plywood over parts of the inside of my rabbit hutch/shed and stuffed loads of straw behind it. Cheaper anyway!

Back