• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter Training

Alicia

Mama Doe
I got Molly and Archie on Friday and I've noticed they go to the toilet anywhere in their hutch, they don't have a set place that they go to the toilet. I got them a litter tray and put some of their soiled bedding in it to hopefully get them to use it, but they still go everywhere. Am I doing the right thing? How do I litter train them?

angus was litter trained in two days i put megazorb on the bottom of his tray and then put hay on top so he started to eat the hay and use the tray at the sametime and has been clean ever since worth a try

There's quite a lot everywhere, and they ripped up all their bedding as well. They are both spayed/neutered but the rescue told me that as Archie was only neutered on the 24th February he might still still act a bit like an uneutered male for a little while. Does that mean that hopefully in a few weeks the territory marking and newspaper ripping will stop?

Only way i've managed to litter train is by taking up all the bedding having nothing on the floor except lino- anything put on the floor will be toileted on. However my lot now with lino are fully litter trained and i just sweep up the odd stray poo etc.

Sounds like they are marking their territory to me too. Hopefully in time they will nominate a corner somewhere, and then you can just pop in a litter tray.

I might try just putting hay in the litter box then. I really want to litter train them so I can change them to a different bedding because I know woodshavings are bad for them.

You've only had them a couple of days, so everything is strange to them. Let them settle in and then see how things go.

It took ages to toilet train my two. Now they have three storage trays in various places and generally keep to those. There are always stray poops and occasionally they'll wee just outside one of them, but they're mostly good. So be patient, it may just take them a while.

Back