• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

do white rabbits get skin cancer?

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
My new zealand white, Sam has an ear that keeps bleeding and it's right on the tip. My vets said if he was a cat she would suspect skin cancer but she wasn't sure if it affected rabbits like it does cats.
has anyone experience of this? We can do a biopsy but as he has just been diagnoised with heart failure we don't want to give him anisthetic unless really necessary.
I'm just hoping he has somehow had a nip from his mate as thats the only other thing I can think of. he's been on antibiotics for other problems so we thought that should have cleared up any infection.

i don't know for sure but i would think that if it can affect other animals, rabbits wouldn't be exempt:?

my old hammy who passed away recently had a skin cancer tumour:(

hope he's ok x

I would have thought that rabbits were as susceptible as cats.

When I had my white cat the vet advised me to paint the bare part of her ears with violet coloured felt tip :)

Yes, any animal, especially white coloured/Alibino is more likely to get skin cancer. Luckily for me, my white buns prefer the shade.

we figured he could get it like any other animal but has anyone had experience of it in their bunny? we don't want to panic if its not that common.

Back