• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about weedkillers

Leximo

Young Bun
Every 6 months or so we get GreenThumb to use a weedkiller on the grass (parent's decision, not mine). I have placed my new bun's run on the stone slabs as I am still uncertain as to whether it would be safe for my bun to eat the grass, though I'd love for him to be able to roam about in the actual garden :love:

On the GreenThumb website they say it is safe for pets once the weedkiller has dried, however I'm still uncertain as to whether it would harm my rabbit if the grass is consumed. Any thoughts? We haven't had the grass treated for a fair few months, however I think we're getting it treated again in few months time

Bumping as well I was thinking of gettin greethumb out for our rabbit and piggy ravaged mess of a garden but i'm also scared of the chemicals :?

I had this problem last year, we put weedkiller down 2 weeks before we decided to get the bunnies. It depends on the specific type of weedkiller and I couldnt find anythign specific and you would have to contact the manufacturer, but I wouldnt trust them to give you an accurate answer.

Safe after howeer many weeks means to play on I dont think this applies to grazing animals. I decided to wait 6 months to be sure before I let them graze. have allowed them on the grass before this but watched them and made sure they didnt eat much. The chemicals will build up in their bodies the more they eat - like the DDT and Silent Spring scenario....

Thanks for the advice everyone, and I think I'll refrain from letting by bun going on the grass before we get some more information. Next time the guy comes to treat the grass I'll ask if it is also safe for grazing animals. I hate to keep the little guy on the stone slabs but I don't want to risk it :?

i wouldn't let mine anywhere near grass that's been treated with chemicals for at least a few weeks
chemicals are still active when dry surely?
but anyway why kill weeds? are they not edible weeds

i wouldn't let mine anywhere near grass that's been treated with chemicals for at least a few weeks
chemicals are still active when dry surely?
but anyway why kill weeds? are they not edible weeds
My mum is potty about her garden so it has to be perfect, so unfortunately there is no way I can ask her to stop the grass treatment. :oops: The lawn must be perfect and green, lol.

Back