• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Valerie admitted waiting for test results and bad news for Rocky/ UD p14

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Waiting for the vets to ring with the results of Valerie's blood tests. I think she is in a pretty bad way, although you would never know it as she is a happy floppy bunny.

Her teeth are in a dreadful state and her mouth is badly inflamed. The molars are rotten and breaking just like her incisors do and her roots are breaking through her jaw :( She never shows any symptoms of dental problems or any pain but she must be in so much discomfort. I have left her as long as possible as we are really concerned about her kidney function. She is being blood tested first before they will give her a GA to sort her teeth out. The vets are really concerned as to how she will cope with an op. I have no idea how she stays so lively and happy, she is a very special bunny.

Rocky went for a check up today as he is also a severe tooth root bunny, although it is only affecting his upper teeth. i was really hoping his latest eating problems and pain might be caused by molar spurs that we can easily sort but no his teeth are perfect inside :( They think his roots are pressing on nerves and it is causing him pain right into his neck and base of his ears :cry: His food is mushed, he is on high pain relief I don;t know what else we can do for him. I guess we need to seriously consider his quality of life :cry: At the moment I am just praying that the warmer weather helps improve things for him :?

Last edited:
oh that sounds awful for both of them - I don't know how some buns carry on when their teeth are so bad - I know what i'm like with toothache.
lots of vibes that they can be made comfortable :love::love:

The vet was supposed to ring me back just after 3pm :( Don;t think they will be able to do her dental, if she can have one this late in the day :?

Thank you all.

If anyone has any suggestions about what we can do for Rocky and whether it is fair to keep him going I would be happy to hear them. My brain physically aches today and I can't think clearly :?

I'm sorry Rocky's outlook is not looking good. :( Does he have a partner or is he one of your single buns?

I'm sorry Rocky's outlook is not looking good. :( Does he have a partner or is he one of your single buns?

He is single, we had a possible partner lined up for him but then he started to deteriorate so we decided not to go ahead with it as it wouldn;t be fair on either bunny :( He is only 2 and a half years, he looks such a strong healthy bunny but you can tell he's not altogether comfortable by his behaviour. The problem is only with his upper roots so I really don;t want him to go the same way as our Fuzzy did, that was horrible :(

Have spoken to the vet and at the moment we are none the wiser :?

The blood results came back pretty much OK, one slightly raised liver thingy but nothing to be concerned about. We were all surprised as we were convinced it was her kidneys. Anyway since she has been there she hasn't drunk or wee'd at all, where as here she can drink a whole bowl of water in an hour! However she has not stopped eating the whole time which is worrying the vets. She does have a ferocious appetite but of course here she is only fed at certain times. So we are now thinking that she is not drinking there because she has so much food available to her and here she is filling up on water when there is no food :?

the vet said that with her teeth the way they are in theory she should hardly be able to eat at all, yet she never stops so we are now thinking that there is something else going on that is making her eat constantly despite her dental pain :( So tomorrow she will have a dental and be x-rayed for tumours :cry::cry:

Big vibes for Valerie for tomorrow. xx

I know she was a stray, but do you have an approximate idea of her age?

Big vibes for Valerie for tomorrow. xx

I know she was a stray, but do you have an approximate idea of her age?

Absolutely no idea, she could be 2 years old, she could be 8 years. :? :(

Until these new symptoms showed up i always though she was under 4 years but now I'm not so sure........

Another random thought from me....but raised liver enzymes and voracious appetite would make me consider hyperthyroidism if she were a cat!

Haven't been on much today...so sorry to hear Valerie isn't doing well, hope the vets can find something to help her.

And poor Rocky, he is such a lovely boy :( Hope you can keep him comfortable, poor boy xxx

Back