• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If you were designing a hutch for your bunnies - what would be the 'must haves'??

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave: the bunnies are going to be going back outside in a few weeks and we've decided to build a new hutch for them.

The measurements are 7ft long x 2.5ft deep and it'll be a double decker (and it'll be inside a covered aviary that's 15ft long).

So, if you were designing your own hutch, what would be the must haves and must avoids??

Last edited:
some where to hide that dark but not to large but obviously enough to stand stretch etc
shelter
weather proof
good ventilation
good large play area

to name a few

I don't like hutches so would go for a very large shed or summerhouse :D

I'd love a summerhouse too but will have to wait until I've won the lotto and moved to somewhere with a mahoosive garden. (siigh)

Last edited:
some where to hide that dark but not to large but obviously enough to stand stretch etc
shelter
weather proof
good ventilation
good large play area

to name a few

As the whole thing is gonna be 7ft wide, how big would you do the 'sleeping' area? I wasn't sure whether to half the 'upstairs' and have a day area and a sleeping area or whether to have like the upstairs as a day area and downstairs as a sleep area but that may be too large!?!

My advice would be to make the whole downstairs area dark, so that they feel safe down there and have somewhere to hide. Make the upstairs open and airy with no partitions so they have as much room as possible. Instead of a ramp you should consider a staircase as they find them easier to go up and down. Put an indoor water bottle upstairs along with their food. For your sake it's easier if you make the hutch 'backwards' so that the run is on the opposite side of the hutch than the doors. This allows you to give them their food and clean the hutch without moving the run. If you can get some non-slip vinyl (lino) then I would use that as the floor, it's easy to clean. The normal stuff is slippery so you need the bathroom non-slip type. I always put breton/padlock bolts on my hutchs, you can get them cheap from screwfix or wilkinsons.

I've found all the hutches I've bought the door to the dark area fits in to the hole rather than over it. (Don't know how better to explain that!) ie because the door has gaps round it, it wouldn't be totally wind proof. The hutch I made has the door so it fits into the recess but has an overlap so that the wind won't blow straight through the cracks. I guess this keeps the frosty air out better too, and keeps the temperature higher in cold weather.

I really want to make a 7 or 8 x 2.5 x two tier hutch this year so will be following for any tips and ideas.

Oh, another thought - I've seen a thread with a commercially made hutch and the doors are so small you can't get a litter tray through them - you need good wide doors - also for catching buns etc.

Back