• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Costs of rabbit care..

Bunni_xx

Mama Doe
In my bank, I have about £300. I need to pay for vaccs, which is
£16 each = £32

300-32=268 (?)

Plus a shed/playhouse leaves me with about £100. How much do you spend a month and what on? How much did you spend on housing? :D

I dont really spend that much each month, at the moment Im working on getting Sebastian onto a hay only diet, I pay about £3 for 2(or is it 3?)kg of hay, it lasts me a month atm, Im going to buy a bale soon though :D the biggest expense is dried forage but it lasts me quite a while so I dont need to buy that very often.

I spent £120 on the hutch, £60 on the run. I want to buy a shed though soon so am saving up for that :)

I dont really spend that much each month, at the moment Im working on getting Sebastian onto a hay only diet, I pay about £3 for 2(or is it 3?)kg of hay, it lasts me a month atm, Im going to buy a bale soon though :D the biggest expense is dried forage but it lasts me quite a while so I dont need to buy that very often.

I spent £120 on the hutch, £60 on the run. I want to buy a shed though soon so am saving up for that :)

Ah, thank-you. Hay only diet? About how much cheaper would that be? :wave:

Ah, thank-you. Hay only diet? About how much cheaper would that be? :wave:

Im doing it for medical reasons :wave: I will still have one bunny on pellets and herbs ect so not really that much cheaper but if he was my only bun and was going onto this diet I would only have to pay for hay until I can reintroduce herbs and things :wave:

Im doing it for medical reasons :wave: I will still have one bunny on pellets and herbs ect so not really that much cheaper but if he was my only bun and was going onto this diet I would only have to pay for hay until I can reintroduce herbs and things :wave:

Oh sorry :)

I go through one bale of hay a month @ £6.75, half a bag of megazorb a month @ £3.50 and half a 3kg bag of Science Selective a month @ £3.

Then extra on herbs, treats, treat hay, dried weeds, etc.

Beginning of next month is myxo vaccs time so that's about £60 for all four.

I worked this out the other day

I spend approx £300 on basics for 19- food, hay, bedding,newspaper..

Then £300.00 as a min on vet bills - dental ops, other treatments, meds, consultations etc..

Then £200 at pets at home,zoo plus etc here and there for treats, extra food bowls, water bottles. It's probably more if i add up all the stuff i order on amazon prime too as and when i want or need it.

I'm looking into getting some new pens for outside which will be around £300, similar to the dog pen we just bought but mesh.

Also a 10x12 shed i've got the funds ready to pay for which is going to be around £700.00.

Then there is stuff like wormer's etc- I spent over a hundred on this last time i bought a batch from the vets.

Also the vet bills don't include routine vaccinations ( £570.00)- that is just generals for dental buns and other treatments and meds. And another £285.00 every 6 months for second lot of mixi jabs.

Even stuff like ordering 500 latex gloves of amazon etc adds up and other bits and bobs.

This thread is probably what you're looking for :
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276306

I spend £50-60 a month on one bun, but looking to reduce that. Details on the thread.

edit: I spent about £130 on my 4ft8x4ft8 NIC pen, but this includes the pack I used to bunnyproof my room. Before that I payed £50 for the secondhand 4ftx2ft cage he came with.

Last edited:
I have three rabbits my estimated costs are:
vaccinations: £10 per month
Hay: £22 per month
pellets: £1 per month?
veg: £5 per month?
aubiose: £2 per month, max.

Housing :oops:
First set up - £120 for a medium sized coop.
second set up (a few months later) - £150 for a coop which had 12 sq ft indoor space and 18sq ft run space.
Addition to second set up - £20 for materials to build an extra 18sq ft run so that it met rspca minimum.
addition to first set up when used as temp. housing by Eli - £50 for an 8 panel metal run.
Third set up - £80 for a second hand shed, £20 for some new felting, £10 for some lino, £20 for wire to build a new run.

should have just gone for the biggest we could do in the first place :lol:

Playhouse and run was free as isn't technically mine :lol:
Food: £2
Hay: £3.50
Megazorb: £2
Veg: £6
Other (toys,treats etc) £6

Not sure on vaccinations atm- they had been vaccinated before I got them so not due yet :)

My Hutch & Run - £165
Food - £3.50 (I think this might last my 2 rabbits about 2/3 weeks but I don't know for sure because I've only had them for a few days)
Hutch accessories (bowls, litter tray, toys, etc.) £30
Hay - £3 a week (hoping to start using a bale of hay soon instead)
Bedding - £2.50 a week
Vaccinations - not sure yet but I think it will be a maximum of £20 (hoping anyway :lol: )

If you count the fence that we had to replace because of the next door neighbour's dog, I reckon I spent in the region of £3000 last year on making the outside accommodation safe for the bunnies after we lost G&T. That also included laying a patio for the new kennel and buying an additional aviary.

G&T's accommodation in contrast probably cost me less than £60 because the hutch was from freecycle and the run was made of NIC panels and wood that was salvaged. G&T didn't cost me any more than neutering and vaccinations and £500 for insurance over their short lives. S&W have cost me lots in vet bills, although Pet plan have started to pay out now..

Back