• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pets @ Home Vets ??

twisted_angel

Warren Scout
Hello

The 2 contis i am homing at the weekend are due their jabs begining - middle April.

I noticed when i was getting supplies that pets at home are doing the jabs at half price i think it was £17.50 for the 2. My vet charges for £20 per jab .

Do you think it is ok to get from there or should i stick with my local vet?

Also the female has got a bad case of ear mites (or it looks bad to me but i have no experience). I have her booked into the vets for Saturday morning (i assume she will need vetinary treatment for them ???) but if i collect her Friday should i be doing anything to treat them in the meantime until she see the vet the next day?

Thank you

Hello

The 2 contis i am homing at the weekend are due their jabs begining - middle April.

I noticed when i was getting supplies that pets at home are doing the jabs at half price i think it was £17.50 for the 2. My vet charges for £20 per jab .

Do you think it is ok to get from there or should i stick with my local vet?

Also the female has got a bad case of ear mites (or it looks bad to me but i have no experience). I have her booked into the vets for Saturday morning (i assume she will need vetinary treatment for them ???) but if i collect her Friday should i be doing anything to treat them in the meantime until she see the vet the next day?

Thank you

I use companion care vets, the pets at home pets..the one I use is great

I've no experience of p@h vets so can't comment as to how good they are, but I suppose it would vary branch to branch anyway. If you know ur vet is good particularly with bunnies I would stick with them, although ive just read ur other thread and i suppose it wouldn't do any harm to just get the jabs done at p@h if money is an issue as it looks like ur gunna be paying alot in vet bills when u take them on, just be wary of having the jabs and neuter to close together. Too soon afterwards and they can react badly to the jab. You could always start a thread asking for bunny savvy vets in ur area as vets who are good with dogs etc arnt always as good with buns.

I would take them to PAH for a check up, vaccinations and mites treatment. Then you can always move to the other vets for neutering and if any problems come up.

Personally I would find a good vet and stick with them. Good bunny vets can be few and far between sadly, so it's worth doing a bit of asking around for a recommendation first, as many vets are brilliant with dogs/cats but hopeless with rabbits. Especially with giants I would want a very competent vet and would stick with them for everything including vaccinations, as they will form part of your bunny's health record and it helps the vet to have the full context available to them whenever they examine your rabbit whether for vaccinations or other reasons.

Whereabouts in Essex are you, there are a few Essex members on here so we might be able to suggest a good bunny vet near you.

The vets in PAH are owned by the managing vet and not part of PAH as such - it's a bit like a franchise, so the quality will vary with the individual vets, just like it does at every other practice. I use the Chelmsford Companion Care one in PAH and they are very good with bunnies :)

My local vet is good with my dog but i am not sure about small pets as i have not had any to take to them. I have found though they do seem to charge a lot more then other vets :?

I am near Grays in Essex Santa. My nearest P@H companion vets is Pitsea. When i phoned them they quoted me £15 per injection plus the mite treatment (she said she didnt know how much this would be until she saw and could advise - fair enough) I asked how much for the consultation on top and she said that is all included in the price.

My vet i phoned wanted £20 per injection, plus £19.00 for consultation plus the mite treatment.

I dont want to be tight at all but though the more i can save where i can (without scrimping in the rabbits health of course) the more to go into the bunny pot! :lol: My husband has just let me know how much all the wood, wire etc etc came to for their outdoor enclosures and hutches :shock: :lol: Still its all for a good cause :love:

I use 2 vets, 1 local one and 1 from Pets@ home. Both are very good rabbit and Guinea pig savvy.

I would neaver buy anything from pets @home ( don't like the re homeing ethics, and the recomemended 80cm cage for guineas), but I do use companian care.

I do have 1 of the companion vets re home from me. She took on a 5 year old sow. She knew she did not have long, but wanted to give her a good end. Six months later the vet was back for more piggies. Never owned them before, only seen them in the vets. Now she's addicted.

Last edited:
I use the same Companion Care (they are nothing to do with the P@H company, they just lease space) as KittyKat23UK does and they are brilliant, the vet is very rabbit (and any animal!!) savvy there, but it can vary from store to store like any vets can, go there and see what they say and feel and if you don't like it then have a look at different vets in your area :)

Back