• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

toileting problems still.

shadow05

Mama Doe
hiya everyone :wave: i know im a pain in the butt but just wanted to aske someone a question on scooters latest toileting problems anyways about a week ago i think i came on here and was having problems with scooter peeing on the floor. i was told to use white vinegar on the floor and that worked for a little while but now hes started peeing in another corner should i just spray the whole floor with it?

ive been told if he doesnt stop soon ill have to get rid off him :(:cry: which i really dont wanna do. im gonna see to getting some lino cut off fro him in that area but until then i have to make it so that he doesnt cause anymore damage or that i can cover it up. :oops:

The white vinegar idea is fine, but wont work for all buns.

Not all buns can be litter trained - thats a fact unfortunately.

Could you put another litter tray where he's choosing to go ?

Does he use his litter tray at all?

The white vinegar idea is fine, but wont work for all buns.

Not all buns can be litter trained - thats a fact unfortunately.

Could you put another litter tray where he's choosing to go ?

Does he use his litter tray at all?

he did use to use it all the time and then for some reason he stopped using it and started peeing in the cage base with the hay and from there its gone to spraying in corners and using them as a toilet ive tried putting his tray over it but its hasnt worked he moves it out of the way so he can chew on the bars and dig.

he has started using the litter trays now but only since yesterday, i cant figure out why hes done it though not much has changed apart from the size of the cage and a secound level was put in. :?

Hi, I know you've posted recently, but I cant remember, is he neutered? My memory isnt very good.

i think its a behaviour hes going to carry on doing he only seems to do it when hes chewing or digging at the bars which he only does when he wants my attention which i cant always give him if im walking past trhe cage and hes doing it ill give him a little fuss and then carry on with wat im doing so im not complety ignoring him. but for the life of me i cant stop him i dont mind the chewing and digging that dont bother me at all ive gotten quite use to it but its the peeing thats becoming a really bad problem and its getting worse.

Does he get much time out of the cage, and is it a large cage? It sounds like he may be bored and that he needs more space to run around and more time out of his cage.

When you clean up his urine, put the cloth in to his litter tray so that he associates his litter tray with his urine smell. If you see him pee in his litter tray, give him a small healthy treat so that he associates going in there with a reward. Also is his hay basket next to his litter tray? Bunnies like to be able to munch while they are in their litter tray so some hay next to the litter tray may help.

Does he get much time out of the cage, and is it a large cage? It sounds like he may be bored and that he needs more space to run around and more time out of his cage.

When you clean up his urine, put the cloth in to his litter tray so that he associates his litter tray with his urine smell. If you see him pee in his litter tray, give him a small healthy treat so that he associates going in there with a reward. Also is his hay basket next to his litter tray? Bunnies like to be able to munch while they are in their litter tray so some hay next to the litter tray may help.

at the moment not much but i am trying to get him out more. his cage is 7 by 5 foot which a secound level.

at the moment on the floor he is peeing on bed sheets so i dont think id be able to get it to fit into his litter tray. im thinking of getting him a corner litter tray and attaching it with a cable tie onto the side of the pen so that it will cover that corner and also so that he cant throw it around. in his litter trays he has hay in there and its always stocked up. he did use to have his litter tray in hs cage bottom where most of his hay was kept.

its funny cause when hes out and about there are no toilting problems at all he may poo everywhere but thats not a problem at all. even when he gets up on my bed he doesnt pee he might attack the bed sheets but if i tell him no hell leave them and happy bounce off like nothing happened or hell shake his head and binky and run off. :roll:

i think hes bored to but i cant get him to stop no matter wat i do people have told me to let him out more but i dont get in untiul late and most of the peeing is done when im not there and i cant free range him all day because my brothers come into my room and my mom.

If you're willing to rehome him because of his toiletting habits then maybe it'd be better for him if you did.:?

Don't you have a "massive" garden? Why dont you house him in the garden?:wave:

at the moment not much but i am trying to get him out more. his cage is 7 by 5 foot which a secound level.

at the moment on the floor he is peeing on bed sheets so i dont think id be able to get it to fit into his litter tray. im thinking of getting him a corner litter tray and attaching it with a cable tie onto the side of the pen so that it will cover that corner and also so that he cant throw it around. in his litter trays he has hay in there and its always stocked up. he did use to have his litter tray in hs cage bottom where most of his hay was kept.

its funny cause when hes out and about there are no toilting problems at all he may poo everywhere but thats not a problem at all. even when he gets up on my bed he doesnt pee he might attack the bed sheets but if i tell him no hell leave them and happy bounce off like nothing happened or hell shake his head and binky and run off. :roll:

I'm no expert but I think this is probably a sure sign that he needs more freerange time as helgalush mentioned.

My two live outside and have a lot of enclosed space, plus freerange time every day if its not raining. When they were inside a few weeks ago when Mac was unwell they were in a much smaller space and Albie from the start and Mac once he he was feeling better, were doing a lot of bar rattling, digging up their litter tray, tipping food bowls and generally trashing the place - all things they never usually do. I could only assume that they were bored and felt cooped up - the behavior stopped the instant they were given more space again.

Last edited:
If you're willing to rehome him because of his toiletting habits then maybe it'd be better for him if you did.:?

Don't you have a "massive" garden? Why dont you house him in the garden?:wave:

im not wanting to rehome him because of his toilting problems i want to try and help him so that my mom doesnt make me rehome him.

i am currently looking into doing that actual or at least putting him outside during the day and bringing him in at night but only in summer in winter ill probs bring him in full time.

I assume he pees in his run?
You can get 4 vinyl floor tiles from the 99p shop that you can temporary stick over the carpet then just throw a fleece on top of the tiles.

I'm no expert but I think this is probably a sure sign that he needs more freerange time as helgalush mentioned.

My two live outside and have a lot of enclosed space, plus freerange time every day if its not raining. When they were inside a few weeks ago when Mac was unwell they were in a much smaller space and Albie from the start and Mac once he he was feeling better, were doing a lot of bar rattling, digging up their litter tray, tipping food bowls and generally trashing the place - all things they never usually do. I could only assume that they were bored and felt cooped up.

i know but my problem is during the day when im not at home hes cooped up in his pen and i cant do anything about it. if i was to go with the idea of putting him outside in a hutch and run that will take ages to sort i need money to be able to do that which i hardly have any of. :(. ive asked bf if he at least has an old hutch but it doesnt look good i know he has a run but he doesnt know wat his parents are doing with atm.

I assume he pees in his run?
You can get 4 vinyl floor tiles from the 99p shop that you can temporary stick over the carpet then just throw a fleece on top of the tiles.

i thought of this but wont it go inbetween the tiles and go onto the carpet anyways?. at the moment i have a shower curtian over the carpet so that the carpet doesnt get any and then a rug and over that is a bed sheet.

ive asked my mom to get one of my brother to cut me some lino but she keeps being lazy and not saying anything to them or shell tell me no. which i then have a go at her for telling me off about the carpet. :(

i know but my problem is during the day when im not at home hes cooped up in his pen and i cant do anything about it. if i was to go with the idea of putting him outside in a hutch and run that will take ages to sort i need money to be able to do that which i hardly have any of. :(. ive asked bf if he at least has an old hutch but it doesnt look good i know he has a run but he doesnt know wat his parents are doing with atm.

Is he in your room? Are you able to bunny proof your room so he can come and go from his pen when he chooses? I could be wrong, but have a feeling that Schuette has done some good threads on fairly cheap bedroom bunny proofing :)

i thought of this but wont it go inbetween the tiles and go onto the carpet anyways?. at the moment i have a shower curtian over the carpet so that the carpet doesnt get any and then a rug and over that is a bed sheet.

ive asked my mom to get one of my brother to cut me some lino but she keeps being lazy and not saying anything to them or shell tell me no. which i then have a go at her for telling me off about the carpet. :(

If the shower curtain fits the inside of the run, why don't you stick the vinyl tiles over the shower curtain which you can then put over the carpet? Or get a big sheet of plastic that fits just slightly bigger than the run then you put the run on top ~ voila ~ problem solved:lol::lol:

Is he in your room? Are you able to bunny proof your room so he can come and go from his pen when he chooses? I could be wrong, but have a feeling that Schuette has done some good threads on fairly cheap bedroom bunny proofing :)

yea he lives in my bedroom the bar rattling and digging can get annoying but ive learnt to sleep through it now so its not a problem. the bed room is rabbit proffed a little but there are somethings that could not be rabbit proffed fully. he can still get a hold of the cables but they have been put into a cable protector but i think he could chew through it if he wanted but i unplug everything when i go out in a morning in case he escapes it is rare but it happens when im not there and my mom has to put him back in :lol:.

luckly hes not really fussed with cables and just tends to pick them and move them. under my mirror though there are some gaps and he can get in them and knock my draws out with contain lost of things that bunnys should never get a hold of but i dont know how to rabbit prof these. i could just block it off with a panel but he likes going under there.

If the shower curtain fits the inside of the run, why don't you stick the vinyl tiles over the shower curtain which you can then put over the carpet? Or get a big sheet of plastic that fits just slightly bigger than the run then you put the run on top ~ voila ~ problem solved:lol::lol:

thats a good idea why didnt i think of that? :oops:

i suppose the only thing that would be a problem is getting money to get enought floor tiles and some more plastic sheeting. which isnt that much of a problem actual we have another shower curtian in house, i might be able to borrow some money for the floor tiles.

knowing it if i can get enought tiles to do the whole pen, i cant take the cage base out which is only useed to put his hay in but he pees in it. this would give him more room to charge around.

as for cleaning i could wipe it down everyday and just change the tiles in couple of money and also clean the shower curains and just repeat the whole thing all over again.

I understand your difficulties but I think Scooter's problem is that he is in his cage for too long. Not much fun for him stuck in his cage (the same as for outdoor bunnies being confined to their hutch all day, which we all know isn't the right thing).

Back