• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

:(

twisted_angel

Warren Scout
Went to see the 2 contis that someone contacted me about in view to homing them and bless them :shock:

They are kept in no larger then 3ft by maybe 2ft hutches. No run or anything and no garden to run about in either :cry:

The boy looks in good healthy condition and healthy clear eyes, bum clean, ears clean and teeth look good). The female eyes, bum and teeth look good but she has ear mites. They look quite sore and she is missing fur behind her ears on the neck i am guessing where she is scratching them.

The person said something about veggie oil or something but she said she was trying to to treat it this way before seeing a vet.

They were both friendly. The female kept throwing her bowl about i guess in boredom as she only just fits in her cage and has no toys.

I have told her i will home them friday /saturday as i felt so bad for them both. In the meantime my lovely husband has took 3 days off work to do the hutches and out door enclosures for them.

I have booked them both in for the vet for Saturday morning to have a vet check, treatment for the ear mites and they are due their injection begining - middle of April.

I know i am going to have a large vet bill before i even start with them but i couldnt leave them.

Any advice etc.....

No in seperate cages. She has never bred them. She got them with the intention i think but hasnt got round to it. They are just under 1 year. Not related.

Neither are spayed or neutered so booking the male to be done asap at my vets. Will wait for the female to be in full health as the ear mites look nasty then will have her spayed too. Does she need doing if the male is done or is it better for health reason?

I have no intention of breeding i will leave that to people who know what they are doing all i would like is a family pet. I would love to get from a rescue but i have a feeling these will either end up in a rescue or being brought by someone to purely breed from and they will end up in similar conditions as they are now.

No in seperate cages. She has never bred them. She got them with the intention i think but hasnt got round to it. They are just under 1 year. Not related.

Neither are spayed or neutered so booking the male to be done asap at my vets. Will wait for the female to be in full health as the ear mites look nasty then will have her spayed too. Does she need doing if the male is done or is it better for health reason?

I have no intention of breeding i will leave that to people who know what they are doing all i would like is a family pet. I would love to get from a rescue but i have a feeling these will either end up in a rescue or being brought by someone to purely breed from and they will end up in similar conditions as they are now.
Glad to hear you are getting them done :D The female should be done so she isnt hormonal, and it cuts down the risk of cancer for her :wave:

well done for taking them on :wave: sounds like they are being kept in bad conditions :(

I would definatly spey the girl when she is healthy, female bunnies have an 80% chance of utrine cancer if they arent speyed, not worth the risk :wave:

Thank you Chul and Georgeypudding.

I will deffo get her spayed then if it helps healthwise. I will wait a month though just to get her over the ear mites as they look quite sore.

Im sure the vets will be able to advise you when it will be best to get her speyed :)

Dont forget, Male's are fertile for 6weeks after being neutered :wave:

Awww...the poor darlings!!! Since when has anyone used veggie oil on wounds?:shock::censored: Ridiculous!!:evil:

So sweet of your hubby taking time off to build them nice houses. :D

Of course, when the lovelies are settled, we would like piccies:lol:

Thanks georgypudding i didnt know that so will make sure they do not mix for couple months after his op to be on the safe side :shock:

I am hoping at some point once both are neutered and spayed they will be able to spend time together even if it just is when they have run of the whole garden.

I do not know how realistic it would be that i could get them to bond later on ??? That would be lovely for them to have company.

DizzyG i know i could of kissed him when he said he would take the time off ! I think he was as shocked as i was seeing them in the hutches too :cry:

I will be boring you all with photos of them :lol:

Thanks georgypudding i didnt know that so will make sure they do not mix for couple months after his op to be on the safe side :shock:

I am hoping at some point once both are neutered and spayed they will be able to spend time together even if it just is when they have run of the whole garden.

I do not know how realistic it would be that i could get them to bond later on ??? That would be lovely for them to have company.

DizzyG i know i could of kissed him when he said he would take the time off ! I think he was as shocked as i was seeing them in the hutches too :cry:

I will be boring you all with photos of them :lol:

Very realistic :D it may be best to get someone who knows what they are doing to do the bond though, I personally wouldnt be able to do it, far to scary :lol: you'd need to give up lots of time aswell so if you have kids it would be difficult

:

They either need to be together all the time or not at all. They should bond fine, they probably are used to one anothers scent, you can always get help to bond them.

Well done for getting these two, we need loads of pics once they come. You can get Xeno 450 for mites treatment. You can get this from the vets. I would recommend treating both of them for mites as they might also have fur mites.

Poor little things, bet they can hardly move in those hutches, it must be like living in a pet carrier!

Whereabouts in Essex are you? I'm near Chelmsford, so when they are both neutered and settled I'd be happy to come and help you try and bond them if you like :wave: I usually come as half of a pair with Louise_and_Gus :lol:

It's not really possible to let them out for "playtime" together: they are either bonded, or they aren't. If they are bonded they need to stay together all the time; just letting them out to "play" together will result in either fighting if they aren't properly bonded, or anxiety at the separation afterwards if they are.

Good luck, hope you get on ok with them. Does the owner have other rabbits? If so, did you see what sort of conditions they were kept in?

Just so you know, the male will still be fertile for at least 6 weeks after being neutered, so must be kept away from the female until the 6 weeks post neuter is up. Otherwise you may have babies. xx

Thank you all for the help and advice. Its appreciated as i am new to this and just want to do good by them. They deserve it :love:

I see what you mean about them bonding and either being together full time or not at all. Where they are now the male is on the bottom hutch and she is above so they would know eachothers scent i should imagine.

Thank you Santa that would be great. I am 10 mins away from Lakeside near Grays if that is not to far for you ??? I would love to try and get them bonded just so they have company especially as they are just under or over a year old.

The female especially was very crammed in her hutch as she is bigger then the male. There was not a lot of room at all for her to manouvere either. The owner did acknowledge this and said this is part of the reason for finding them a new home plus she wanted to concentrate on her lops.

Thanks Jaysmonkey. Think i will keep them apart for couple months to be on safe side. ;)

You must be very near to Louise_and_Gus then, so that should be fine, I go to hers quite regularly. I'd better break the news to her :lol::lol:

How easy would it be for you to get to Upminster for vets? Louise uses William at the Wylie Veterinary Centre which is just off the A127; he is an excellent bunny vet who has worked at referrals practice and is very 'up' on his continuing learning about bunnies. Not the cheapest but very definitely the best. I would definitely recommend him as the best vet to use down your end of Essex if you can get there. If that's not possible for you, I would suggest sending Louise and Gus a pm to see if she can suggest someone nearer - or at least tell you where to definitely avoid, as she's used many of them and has talked to others while homechecking etc.

Poor little loves, sounds as if they've had a rotten time so far - hopefully they will get back to perfect health very soon. I would resist the urge to give them too much space to start off with, as rabbits which have been kept confined can have very weak bones so they can easily seriously injure themselves if they are given too much space too quickly - so do bear this in mind and try and build up their exercise time/space gradually.

Give us a shout nearer the time and we'll see if we can help out with bonding :)

Back