• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing help?

Ok, as some of you know, I have 4 rabbits.

A group of 3 having free run of the shed and a spayed female living by herself in a 5ft X 2ft x 2ft hutch in that shed. I know that 5ft is not big enough for her especially as I want to get her a friend... so I'm going to upgrade to a 6ft. Problem is, it will have to go outside as it would take up too much space for the other bunnies in the shed, but I guess with a cover it would be fine?

We can just about fit a 6ft x 3ft x 2ft in the garden without it "cluttering up the garden" (this would include chopping down 2 bushes :lol: ) so we have no where for a hutch of that size to have a permanent run attached to it. So, it would have to be a single hutch, I purposely want one 3ft deep for the extra foot of space. :) I would probably get this hutch. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276180 I have enough money to get it, I was saving up for a laptop but my rabbits are more important.

Now here's the dilemma... does a run HAVE to be attached? I know obviously it would be better but I really have no room for it to be there permanently. :( Parents rules, they don't like having the runs on the grass as it is. :oops:

So Blossom (and possible friend) would have the 6ft hutch for night only I am buying a 6ft x 4ft x 2ft run and they will go in that all day everyday from 7am to about 8/9/10pm depending on the time of year. I would put a small hutch in there for shelter from rain/sun etc.

Would this be ok, as in would this pass a homecheck for rescues? I want the best I can give for my bun and I can't do more than that. :(

Honest opinions please? :)

Last edited:
Could you go for a 6 x 3 hutch with a run underneath also 6 x 3?

If you have a 6 x 2 hutch with 6x4 run under that's 36ft2 which is acceptable minimum for a lot of rescues.... a 6 x 3 double would be the same floor space.

It all sounds good what you've suggested. I personally prefer not to be moving them about to separate run and to have good permanent shelter ie hutch (just my preference) which is why I suggested the above as an alternative that you might be able to consider.

Could you go for a 6 x 3 hutch with a run underneath also 6 x 3?

If you have a 6 x 2 hutch with 6x4 run under that's 36ft2 which is acceptable minimum for a lot of rescues.... a 6 x 3 double would be the same floor space.

It all sounds good what you've suggested. I personally prefer not to be moving them about to separate run and to have good permanent shelter ie hutch (just my preference) which is why I suggested the above as an alternative that you might be able to consider.

oh it would be the same amount of floor space, I never thought of that. :) Thanks, I like that idea but not sure where I could get a hutch like that.

I don't know if you would pass a homecheck, but personally, I think that sounds acceptable enough for two rabbits. :D

I think having the permenant run underneath is better than having a seperate hutch / run. You let your buns free range supervised dont you?
I would say as long as they had a bit of time to properly stretch their legs it sounds good.. if not free ranging - maybe a large puppy pen on the grass when you are home x

Turns out the guy can make me a 6 x 3 x 2ft hutch with a same size run underneath but it would cost me an extra £120 which i don't have. :cry: Back to square 1. :?

by don't have, I mean I don't have that much to spend on housing. IMO the possible vet bills are more important so I save up a certain amount of money each week. I would always have money for vets so I have my own pocket money for the housing but I don't have £270! :roll:

by don't have, I mean I don't have that much to spend on housing. IMO the possible vet bills are more important so I save up a certain amount of money each week. I would always have money for vets so I have my own pocket money for the housing but I don't have £270! :roll:

Could you not borrow the money off your parents and then pay them back over a certain amount of time? :wave:

Wouldn't a local handyman/chippy be cheaper?

Personally I would get in contact with the actual rescue you intend to adopt from before buying anything and ask them what you'd need because they all have different requirements.

Have you got a plan of your garden and where the free areas are? Someone might be able to help you come up with a plan using the runaround tunnels so you can have the hutch and run in different places.

Thanks everyone. :) Well the origional plan was to knock down the unused garage behind the bunny shed so that the shed could be moved back into its space and have the run attached, but if that gets taken down then the other garage on the left (that we use) will fall down... :shock:

But today my dad agreed to moving the shed backwards, but into the unused garage! :lol: The back wall of the shed is the front wall of the garage if that makes sense? :? Well anyway, he said that if he can move that then it will give us extra space for the bunnies to have their run attached to the shed. :D Then I will probably have more room for a bigger hutch for Bloss! :D

I told my Dad about the price of the 6 x 3 hutch and run combo and he said it was ridiculous and he'd just make me one.... :D Dunno if he will but I will try my best to persuade him. :lol:

That's great :) I don't know much about rabbit housing but when I was looking in rescues for my 2 rabbits most of them said that I had to have a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch and 6ft x 4ft x 2ft run so I think you'd pass a homecheck with the hutch and run you want to get :)

Back