• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Short-Usage Nappies for Incontinent Bun?

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I've just been thinking that I would like Muesli and Starbuck to have longer times running outside of their room. They have a large bedroom all to themselves all the time that is lined with lino and either puppy pads or vet bed. Room is about 11'x9'. They do get very short times out running on the upstairs level of our house but is usually cut-short the moment Muesli goes to lift his tail - or more commonly when it is too late and he has toileted.

I wondered if for short bursts - half an hour to an hour say - he could wear a babies nappy so that they can go running for longer, and also for when they go on the grass that the other bunnies also take turns on.

I would never leave it on for long as I know he would need to eat his cecals etc, but would it be ok to do it for short bursts so they can go further afield? I feel silly for even asking :oops: but it seems like a practical solution. Would he be at risk of urine scald wearing one or would the urine get absorbed down in to the nappy?

I wouldn't. It only takes one or two wees to soak the fur on their bottoms, and then you'll have stinky buns who need bathing, and are at risk of urine scald and even fly strike in the warmer weather.

It might be worth asking your vet if he knows of anything.

Or could you get some cheap fleece blankets (they do some in pound land!) and line the landing so then you can just wash the weed on ones after?

It might be worth asking your vet if he knows of anything.

Or could you get some cheap fleece blankets (they do some in pound land!) and line the landing so then you can just wash the weed on ones after?

Thank you - I will ask the vet. Will look for some cheap blankets in poundland then, thanks for that, just worried it would drip through unless it was thick layers. I did find on another thread when I searched for threads about nappies someone had helpfully linked to a company that does washable incontinence pads so I might look at those.

Abbymarysmokey - just wondered do you think he will be ok to go out on the grass anyway when the weather is warm enough? Or is he too much at risk of flystrike? He himself is clean and dry, but he would almost certainly wee on the grass. Will it upset our other bunnies to go on the grass, even if it was the next day? :(

Abbymarysmokey - just wondered do you think he will be ok to go out on the grass anyway when the weather is warm enough? Or is he too much at risk of flystrike? He himself is clean and dry, but he would almost certainly wee on the grass. Will it upset our other bunnies to go on the grass, even if it was the next day? :(

I think a run on grass is a good idea, and definitely better than concrete for messy buns (less chance of standing or sitting in it)

From what I've heard, some buns seem like a magnet to flies. None of mine have ever had fly strike or fly eggs laid on them, but I've heard of buns who get fly eggs on them on a regular basis. Perhaps put him outdoors for a short time and watch for flies landing on him?

I think a run on grass is a good idea, and definitely better than concrete for messy buns (less chance of standing or sitting in it)

From what I've heard, some buns seem like a magnet to flies. None of mine have ever had fly strike or fly eggs laid on them, but I've heard of buns who get fly eggs on them on a regular basis. Perhaps put him outdoors for a short time and watch for flies landing on him?

Thank you for your advice, its very helpful. That's what we will do :) We will get some flyguard protection for him as well. He stays dry all the time (or nearly all the time now) which is great but will watch him like a hawk for any flies. Thank you.

Regarding the washable incontinence pads - they are available (( Here )) - it's by far the best price I could find for them on the web. I use them as part of my guinea pigs' set-up. They really are very absorbent!! Microfibre towels are also extra absorbent compared to other things.

You could always use that clear carpet protector with incontinence pads on top perhaps?? :) xx

Hope you find a solution.

I would normally say noooooooooo but I have a recollection that one of Hugo's There's former residents used to wear a nappy on occasion. I think it was one of those buns who tore up the rule book and actually worked really well given the rabbit's particular health problems and needs. I remember meeting the little one (sadly now at the bridge :() and being surprised at how well it worked and genuinely seemed the best solution for him. It was definitely short-term and he didn't wear them all the time, though.

(ETA found the thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157526&highlight=nappy)

I have a theory about healthy buns attracting flies. Every (seemingly healthy) bun I have known to seriously attract flies has previously had issues with EC, so I wonder if EC buns somehow give off some kind of scent which attracts them. It's completely unsubstantiated, just a hunch of mine based on my observation of several buns I've known who have pretty randomely seemed to attract so many flies :?

Last edited:
Regarding the washable incontinence pads - they are available (( Here )) - it's by far the best price I could find for them on the web. I use them as part of my guinea pigs' set-up. They really are very absorbent!! Microfibre towels are also extra absorbent compared to other things.

You could always use that clear carpet protector with incontinence pads on top perhaps?? :) xx

Hope you find a solution.

Thank you so much for that link. Thats really helpful. I think we will order one to start with and then if it works well we may do a bulk order so we always have some available while the others are washing.

Oh yes I hadnt even thought of the clear carpet protector stuff - do you just get that in CarpetRight or is B&Q better for that? :oops:

I would normally say noooooooooo but I have a recollection that one of Hugo's There's former residents used to wear a nappy on occasion. I think it was one of those buns who tore up the rule book and actually worked really well given the rabbit's particular health problems and needs. I remember meeting the little one (sadly now at the bridge :() and being surprised at how well it worked and genuinely seemed the best solution for him. It was definitely short-term and he didn't wear them all the time, though.

(ETA found the thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157526&highlight=nappy)

I have a theory about healthy buns attracting flies. Every (seemingly healthy) bun I have known to seriously attract flies has previously had issues with EC, so I wonder if EC buns somehow give off some kind of scent which attracts them. It's completely unsubstantiated, just a hunch of mine based on my observation of several buns I've known who have pretty randomely seemed to attract so many flies :?

Thank you for the link to that thread, I will have a good read through. I was only thinking for half an hour at a time. The reason being that as soon as we open their door he loves coming out for a good run and a nosey and almost hates having to go back in to his room, he's just into everything and wants to see it all and explore. Of course we allow him to but very often we are too late to catch him before he goes :oops: It would just mean that he can come out for a run to have a good nosey and we can relax and hopefully so can he. I'm sure Starbuck would like that too. I guess we could trial it and see how it goes on one occasion? I just dont want to do anything to make him worse and sore.

Thats interesting you say about flystrike and EC, as we have another bunny Kenco with incontinence and kidney issues too but less severe than Muesli. Kenco tested positive for EC and has had Lapizole treatment. So given your hunch I will keep an eye on him. The nappy question was only about Muesli, who tested negative for EC, but I am concerned about flystrike for both of them, and it is a constant job to keep them all clean and dry in their environment. For Muesli we have been using disposable puppy pads but we are getting through about 8 a day if not more as we have to have them strategically placed around the room and as soon as they get soiled they are up, the ground cleaned, and then replaced with fresh ones. Its expensive and not very good for the environment, but they work more or less. But hoping these big sheets will do a better job and work out cheaper long-term.

Sorry went off on one there :oops:

I agree with Santa and think I would give the nappy a go. Use the brand called Nature (they have no bleach or dessicant gels, the absorbent product is just corn starch) - this is what we use for Sammy, they are great for sensitive skin and very absorbent.

I can't see a short run wearing a nappy being a problem at all, esp if it improves quality of life xx

Thank you Vicky, I will try and get hold of some Nature ones to try then. Will see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice everyone. :)

Back