• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

3 legged Noodle has a problem with her ear.....

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
As you may alreadys know she only has 3 legs (A hind leg amputation) and as such cannot scratch or clean her ear on one side.

Since the operation I have been able to keep it clean by scratching it for her and putting my finger in her ear (she pushes against it so it doesnt hurt) and then she licks off the wax! gross but she likes it.

Her sisters also groom her but think they neglect her ear!

But today I have noticed she has been moving the ear independantly (she is uppy eared) and she has been making it flor down so she can scratch it with her front paw or lick the end of it.

She keot doing it and shaking her head like it was annoying her so i took a closer look.

Inside the ear is a small red circle (not like ring worm) but about 1.5cm diameter. It is about an inch from the base of her ear inside. On the outside of her ear the skin is flaky and appears dry yet oily and the hair on the ear is thinner than her 'good side'

I scratched it for her and wiped it with a damp cotton wool pad to clean the outside.

The inside of her ear is relatively wax free as far as i can see.

I never thought the outside of her ear would be an issue and only ever focused on the inside.

I think i will get a cheap toothbrush with firm bristles to wipe the outside of the ear to scratch it and get rid of the dry skin.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what this could be? Just not being able to clean properly? The hair is loose on this ear and comes out when i wiped it but not sure if this is because its loose hair that she hasnt been able to remove herself.

I will get her to the vets soon and get it cleaned out properly.

Anyone else have a 3 legged rabbit who suffers from this problem?

Photo0504.jpg

buns026.jpg

Back