• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoors to indoors?

Fern

New Kit
What to I need to look out for? My buns are kind of litter trained (I fostered another pair a year ago and they have been a bit messier since), I see people put hay in a large tray - at the moment they only pee/poo in their run (even though they're shut in their hutch at night) and mostly use a small tray with woodshavings at the bottom so I'd get a bigger tray. What would I have to bunny proof? I'd be gratful for any advice. Pics of setups would be great too.

We use underbed storage boxes for litter trays. My lionheads have paper under the hay, my lops megazorb. I use NIC panels for proofing round the edges of things I don't want them to chew.

Copied from another thread...

Indoors:

LOPS:

Main area - litter tray in the corner
_IGP1655-vi.jpg

Other side of the bed - duvet that is now covered with towels as mine are a bit messy with cecals :roll:
_IGP1652-vi.jpg

This is where they like to sleep during the day - they also use the chair to get on my bed along with the ramp shown in the first picture
_IGP1654-vi.jpg

Tunnel under the bed:
_IGP1658-vi.jpg

Food storage in the wardrobe:
_IGP1653-vi.jpg

LIONHEADS:

This has moved around slightly since this pic was taken but has all the same things in - food storage in the ottoman
_IGP1660-vi.jpg

Their cosy place under the table and hay storage on top
_IGP1662-vi.jpg

Outdoor run:

Always used with supervision, have netting for the untarped area
_IGP2122-vi.jpg

That's a great setup but I probably wouldn't be able to do anything like that. I've been looking at the cubes and think I could work with them.

How clean are they? Do you get poo/pee accidents? Do they smell or make the house smell (I'm prepared to clean up after them) Is it too much to keep them on carpet?

It depends on the rabbits. My lops were fine on carpet hygiene wise, the reason I changed was cos my old carpet wore the fur on their hocks and made them sore. My lionheads though are messier and when they wee on carpet, unless you clean it quickly, it can be hard to get rid of and smell.

You can often get lino offcuts in carpet stores for a tenner or so then put then under a run.

The reason why I went from run to free-range was cos this way we share the space. I'm not constantly having to move round a big run and it's not taking up space from the house.

Back