• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits need greens everyday? Discuss.

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
What do you think? Do rabbits need greens everyday? Do they need them to be fresh or is dried enough? Do you think in winter dried forage and herbs would suffice? Obviously along with masses of hay and a controlled amount of pellets.

I think they should have veg of some kind if they don't have grass. Not that they need it as such, but it adds interest to their lives. :)

I don't think I have enough evidence to judge :)

I give mine fresh stuff most days but in winter they have odd days with dried herbs only

I dont think they need it as such, but it adds variety and interest. I do think its better for them though :wave: I do think herbs and forage would be OK, but personally, I wouldn't do it :)

Last edited:
I have no idea if they need it, but mine dont get natural greens - plants, weeds, grass etc hardly ever (unless i pick it) as they live in a concrete run so I give them fresh veggies/herbs every morning - I think they would kill me if i stopped!!!

I give dry stuff every day, and fresh stuff to Charlie a few times a week. Milly gets fresh stuff pretty much every day.

Charlie will not eat any greens other than carrot, cabbage and brocolli though, no matter what I try him with.
I was growing rockett to try but my mam killed it :(

mine enjoy it so i give it to them:) esme helps herself from the garden too. they also regularly get herbs and dried stuff. i think es would leave home if she didn't get her greens - loves them more than pellets.

I'd be interested to know whether it was essential... Mine get greens every other day or every two days. They have several different types of hay and dried herbs to munch on in the meantime.

If I give mine greens everyday I often get uneaten caecs or little signs of stasis in some of them...

Jack: Veggees iz vewwy important. I will emails the other bunnehs and we will av a organized protestt if our veggies iz tuk away. I iz sure Beige cud sort sumfings out wiv organizing a bunneh revoltting and mebbe even takes our case to govunment. Or Anty Angie who is the same fing.

Me: I don't know if they need veggies although I always feel it provides vitamins etc that they may not get from pellets and they thoroughly enjoy them. I have two very un-stasis prone bunnies so nothing seems to affect them - we are sensible in what we give them of course and they eat them with a relish! They have no lawn access at the minute so I it gives them some fresh food which I feel is important. Nutritionally I really don't know though......

Sorry - not very helpful!! But Jack is deadly serious! :shock: ;)

My Nutmeg ignores herbs usually. She'll have a tiny bit of basil or mint but that's all. She'd prefer having dried Burns stuff all the time :roll: Smudge doesn't go crazy for herbs but Mischa and Mini both do. M&M will both be not so interested if they've been on the grass, like today I haven't given them anything cos they've been stuffing their faces with grass for over an hour this afternoon.

I think I'll give fresh herbs and the occasional spring green leaf in winter and try and get as much out of the garden/allotment as I can in spring, summer and autumn. I don't want to stop fresh stuff altogether cos I think they are invaluable for getting moisture into their guts but buying herbs all the time is so expensive. :( Especially when the lionheads aren't all that interested. I mean I'd pay for it obviously cos they're my babies and I'd rather spend money on them than myself!

It is interesting people's views though so keep 'em coming!

Mine get fresh veg/greens either every other day or every two days.
As it sometimes upsets Toffee's tum and he doesnt eat his special poos. :?

But they have access to grass and plants they can reach in the garden all day, every day :)

I think buns need some greenery in their diet, whether its fresh veg/greens or grass and plants or even dried? :)

Mine get fresh veg/greens either every other day or every two days.
As it sometimes upsets Toffee's tum and he doesnt eat his special poos. :?

Spring greens upset Mini's tummy too. And give Mischa and Nutmeg gas. Which is why I tend to stick mainly to herbs with the occasional spring green leaf.

Herbs are expensive to buy unless they're reduced - I was looking at them today. My ideal would be to have a raised bed with lettuces / herbs etc in which I'd like to do this year but it depends on funds etc. I tried this last year in normal tubs but the birds ate the lettuces (!) so I want to do it with a mesh screen / greenhouse type covering.

I will be planting the tubs up again with herbs though and plan to buy some grass type seeds from Shelled Warriors / Hay Experts. :)

My three would pack their bags if they didn't get their greens every morning. I always feed a selection (a) because they like, (b) variety of vitamins etc.

mine have never had greens every day, during summer they would get fresh spring greens every few days over winter the greens were nasty so they didnt get any :lol: They have been getting dried forage though :wave:

i give mine veggies most days, not because i particularly think they need it daily but because it makes them happy! they get so excited when they see me coming with a bowl of greens! grass no so much, though they love dandelions :)

Back