• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Taming Rabbits

Alicia

Mama Doe
I got Molly and Archie on Friday and already they seem to be a lot less nervous but they still get quite scared around me. I sit by the run feeding them dandelions and Molly will take them from my hand but Archie won't. I also bring them in for an hour or two each night (heating turned right down) and they hop around a bit but don't really go near me. I understand it's only been a few days so they won't be used to me yet but how can I get them to be tamer and more used to me?

Lie right down on their level. :)
It'll take a month or two for them to fully trust you but it'll be worth it.

Just checking, when you bring them in, you dont have to chase them to catch them do you, or catch them against their will? This might be doing more harm than good at so early a stage.

Can you lie down in their run? They're bound to wonder what you are doing and come to investigate :)

When I first brought Jenson home I used to let him run round the kitchen and I would just sit on the floor while he was exploring, and hand feed him. Then we attached a run to his cage and sat with him.
It does take quite a while, I found sitting quietly and doing something else worked well (eg read a book or be on my laptop) and let them investigate!

I still hand feed him some of his breakfast and dinner everyday. So now he's not bothered my me at all, so long as I don't try to pick him up!

Get on the floor and in with the hay party :lol:

I find lying on the floor letting them climb and sniff you is nice, you don't look like a great big giant and they get to know your sniffs :)

Be prepared for a hay infested barnet though! xx

Back