• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Suncream

Dandelion22

Warren Scout
I'm not sure if this is in the right section (?!)

My REW Alfie (On the left...) loves to bask in the sun.

CIMG1186.jpg

I get quite worried that his ears are going to get burnt, I know he's a fluff ball but when he moves his ears around you can see the skin which looks really thin.

He always has shelter but usually chooses to sit in the sun! I have a spray suncream, which I used last summer and for the last couple of days. He hates it with a passion though.

Is this the right thing to do? Any other suggestions? It's just the standard boots suncream, should I be using a kids one or something?

Thanks

Last edited:
iv enver heard of suncreaming rabbits and would be very wary of putting stuff on their ears as it could clog the pores or confuse the body as they use thier ears to regulate thier temperature. i also would be concerned due to skin sensitivity? especally if he doesnt like it? im afraid i dont know anything about it personally though so hopefully someone else can come along and be more reassuring or offer an alternative product?! x

I don't have any sun care advice for bunnies I'm afraid... just wanted to say that yours are absolutely gorgeous little things! I would assume that if he's happy to sit in the sun, that he's not getting too hot though. If he's sensible he would move if he's getting too hot! Maybe put an umbrella up for a bit so they are totally in the shade if it's midday sun or something

I know it can be recommended with cats that have white ears to prevent skin cancer but never heard it with buns.
I'd be a bit worried about bins ingesting it with them being able to lick their own ears when they wash :?

I used to have a NZ White bunny who used to love sunbathing. I asked the vet about it once and he said he had never seen a bunny with skin cancer unlike cats where it's quite common and therefore wouldn't advise it - he was more worried that bunnies can bend their ears round and groom it off easily.

I guess bunnies don't live as long as cats so maybe skin cancers don't develop quickly enough for it to be an issue?

This was several years ago now though so I'd be interested to hear if other vets have different experiences and do advise that it is used :)

We used childrens suncream on Evie our English lop as she loved lying in the sun and her ears were very exposed. But have never used it on any other bunnies

I have never used it on a bunny (but might need to now I have a REW) but I always used it on my guinea pigs. I guess just be a bit careful about how much and what you use as he might lick it off when he washes

I use aloe vera sun cream on Finley he got horrible sun burn in his ears last year don't use it in the other buns though. And I only use it on fin because of the scar tissue from a previous injury

Back