• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sexing baby buns please*picture added*

Hi - It's sometime difficult to sex baby buns at the best of times, and would not suggest it's done via photos to be honest. Can you take them to a rabbit savvy vet? Vets can also get it wrong :(

Where about in Cheshire are you?

Hi - It's sometime difficult to sex baby buns at the best of times, and would not suggest it's done via photos to be honest. Can you take them to a rabbit savvy vet? Vets can also get it wrong :(

Where about in Cheshire are you?

im in alsager bit far for anyone too come we had asked the vet but he said hed be honest he cant do it :roll:

They all look like this >>> *(fudges bits*)
DSC02151-1.jpg

that was nantwich :/
supposed to be good. i could ring and ask if they have a particular vet whos good at it?
or contact a rabbit breeder?

I think it depends who there. The first guy I saw told me Bunsk didnt need one of his jabs as he was indoors :roll: but one woman I have seen is great. Ring and ask!

How old is that bunny? It's obviously hard to do accurately from photos but that particular bun looks female to me.

But male and female bits can look very similar when they are young so even though you say "they all look like this" it would be helpful to see a photo of each of them as there are very subtle differences in immature boys but at a glance they would all look like that. I would be amazed if all 6 are girls, which makes me think that there may be some subtle differences which at first glance aren't obvious, so please pretty please don't make the assumption that they are all female as they all look similar at the moment!

Like I say, it's not going to be 100% but we might at least be able to give you an indication for each of them if you can post a photo like that for each bun :)

Last edited:
It is hard to tell, and you're more likely to be able to know for sure at 10+ weeks.
However, I kind of disagree on what it looks like, I think it looks a bit more like a male. I made the mistake when Ludwig was a baby and thought he was a little girl (he had quite a feminine start in life) but at 11 weeks'ish he grew two manly lumps down there... and from what I remember he looked a lot like that when he was younger. But as every has said, at this age, they're very similar, so you'd be best off waiting for a bit. Good luck nonetheless. :)
:wave:

Have you managed to get photos of the others yet? At 5-6 weeks I think you should be able to tell with reasonable, although not 100% certainty. At 8 weeks most bunnies should be clear enough that they can be separated by sex shortly afterwards. I wouldn't advise waiting until 10 weeks as it's starting to get a bit late, although I would continue checking all the way through just in case any of them start to look different, as sometimes they can be very similar before they mature.

Have a look at post 3 in this thread here, there are some very clear pictures which may help you to see subtle differences with your babies:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46514

Bear in mind that the photos in that thread are the other way up to your photo above, so the genitals in your photo are at the top with the bum below, whereas in the other thread, it's the other way round :) I think your photo shows a slit rather than a circle (although sometimes a circle can look like a slit if it's not popped out quite far enough) which is why I think that particular bun in your photo is probably a girl - but I would be interested to see photos of all of them and see if we can see subtle differences now they are coming up to 6 weeks old :)

im in alsager bit far for anyone too come we had asked the vet but he said hed be honest he cant do it :roll:

They all look like this >>> *(fudges bits*)
DSC02151-1.jpg

looks like a girl but if there only 5 weeks its probs best to wiat a little longer until u can tell better.

Back