• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cosequin alternative

rachglos

Warren Scout
My little old (9) lady has been on Cosequin for the past 13 days, we originally took her to the vets as she was slowing down & didn't really seem herself, still eating / drinking / pooing fine but just not right. The vet gave us Cosequin (cat) we have been giving her this and she seems so much better, running around allot more, jumping up onto the sofa etc and just back to her normal self.

Can anyone advise -
would you carry on using something like Cosequin?
or take her off it and see if she's till as lively?
if not put her back on it?
Aslo do you know of anything that would work as well as Cosequin - she obviously hates the taste of it, will not touch any food with it on so I mix it with a little water and syring it into her mouth, she HATES this and I have a nasty bite on my arm to prove it! :(
Is there anything else we can use?

I can ask the vet all these things but always nice to hear from people who may have experience with it.

Thank you in advance

This is a better description then I can give:

"Cosequin is one of the most popular choices today among veterinarians for older pets who are getting a little stiff in the joints and is designed to help support and maintain the health of your pet's joints and cartilage for more activity and a higher quality of life."

Thank you very much. She's usually really good at taking things and I have to admit the Cosequin smells horrible, if it tastes as bad then I don't blame her!

Should I get this and try it straight after using the Cosequin or give her any sort of break in between?

Thank you very much. She's usually really good at taking things and I have to admit the Cosequin smells horrible, if it tastes as bad then I don't blame her!

Should I get this and try it straight after using the Cosequin or give her any sort of break in between?

The Arthri Aid smells pretty rank as well TBH.

AFAIK you don't need to take a break, glucosamine is pretty harmless stuff.

Is it arthritis your bun is suffering from?

If so my 9yr old bun had a course of Cartrophen injections -once a week for 4 weeks and it greatly improved her mobility. The courses were repeated every 6 months ( though I understand the courses can be done every 3-4 months if necessary. I think it cost about 44 pounds per 4wk course.

sue:wave:

I'm not entirely sure if it is arthritis - the vet said he would have to xray to know for sure & she's such an old thing that I don't want to put her under too much stress for an xray, she's a dental bun so when she's next in for that they will do the xrays then.

Considering the improvement on medication I would think she does have arthritis.

I will call the vets & see what he says about Cartrophen injections. Thank you

Last edited:
The Glos bit is related to my name.

I'm based in Filton, Bristol - My vets are called Vale Vets.

Have they given the wrong advice regarding the xrays etc?

The Glos bit is related to my name.

I'm based in Filton, Bristol - My vets are called Vale Vets.

Have they given the wrong advice regarding the xrays etc?

no i don't think so- i think diagnosing arthritis is often a case of ruling out everything else.:)

maybe they asked if you were in glos as I am in glos and were going to suggest my vet?. however i think most vets know about cartrophen, but you would need a diagnosis first.

no i don't think so- i think diagnosing arthritis is often a case of ruling out everything else.:)

maybe they asked if you were in glos as I am in glos and were going to suggest my vet?. however i think most vets know about cartrophen, but you would need a diagnosis first.

You have that right, if you go to the vet I was going to suggest.

My little old (9) lady has been on Cosequin for the past 13 days, we originally took her to the vets as she was slowing down & didn't really seem herself, still eating / drinking / pooing fine but just not right. The vet gave us Cosequin (cat) we have been giving her this and she seems so much better, running around allot more, jumping up onto the sofa etc and just back to her normal self.

Can anyone advise -
would you carry on using something like Cosequin?
or take her off it and see if she's till as lively?
if not put her back on it?
Aslo do you know of anything that would work as well as Cosequin - she obviously hates the taste of it, will not touch any food with it on so I mix it with a little water and syring it into her mouth, she HATES this and I have a nasty bite on my arm to prove it! :(
Is there anything else we can use?

I can ask the vet all these things but always nice to hear from people who may have experience with it.

Thank you in advance

We used Synoquin Cat - it is a glucosamine supplement. I assume hte Cosequin is a similar product. The Synoquin comes in capsule form so we broke open the capsule and mixed the powder with a little banana and our bunny loved it :D

It is perfectly safe to use a glucosamine supplement long-term BUT in addition to this I really would want if possible a confirmed diagnosis, so yes an Xray under GA is needed as to position the body correctly for investigating hips/spine etc bun needs to be out of it. If arthritis is confirmed then THE most helpful treatment is long-term NSAID's such as meloxicam given daily for both pain relief and anti-inflammatory effect in the joints. Glucosamine is a great supplement but nothing works as well on the joints as NSAID's. Long-term use gives a risk to renal/liver function so you would need to be sure it was worth the risk. For our bunny it improved his mobility and pain fantastically. :wave:

Back