• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Honey having a phantom pregnancy?

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
This morning she's been bustling about like a busy wee bee grabbing mouthfuls of hay from where ever she can and piling it up in the corner of their hidebox in the run.

She was spayed around 4 years ago and we think she's about 6. By an amazing coincidence I met her former owner last summer and she said that Honey had a litter of babies before being taken in by Fife rabbit rescue.

Could she be having a phantom pregnancy at all? I didn't think spayed rabbits would get them and especially not after 4 years.:? This is the first time she's shown behaviour like this and the pair hardly ever use the hide box in the hut to hide in (they prefer to sit on top of it).

This morning she's been bustling about like a busy wee bee grabbing mouthfuls of hay from where ever she can and piling it up in the corner of their hidebox in the run.

She was spayed around 4 years ago and we think she's about 6. By an amazing coincidence I met her former owner last summer and she said that Honey had a litter of babies before being taken in by Fife rabbit rescue.

Could she be having a phantom pregnancy at all? I didn't think spayed rabbits would get them and especially not after 4 years.:? This is the first time she's shown behaviour like this and the pair hardly ever use the hide box in the hut to hide in (they prefer to sit on top of it).

Ginger is a spayed doe, but she still nests occasionally. No fur pulling, but she pulls up loads of hay and makes a beautifully formed nest in the litter tray.

Its normal :)

Yup

My boy Flint had a phantom pregnancy.:roll::lol:

Spring has sprung, so they may still get the urge. It *can* be a sign of stress or pain if they remove fur from their bellies, but I think you safe with hay:lol:

Same sort of thing going on here!

Hi Crunchie,

I hope you don't mind me posting to your thread, as I don't have any advice for you, but am really interested in any responses to your question, as I was about to post a similar question myself this morning!

I have been looking after a stray female lop that was found near my home soon after Christmas. I'm in touch with the local rescue, and she is on the waiting list to go there, but in the meantime she is staying with me.

Up until last week, she was indoors in an enclosed area of the spare room, but finally I had to move her outside as we needed our spare room back. She's now in a 6x2x2 hutch with large run attached. Just this morning, I noticed that in the bed part of her hutch, she has lined a corner with her fur.

I don't think there is any way she could be pregnant as I have had her for nearly 3 months now and she has had no contact with any un-neutered males. My vet, who is excellent, thinks he can feel a spay scar on her belly, but obviously can't be 100% sure she is spayed.

Could this be a phantom pregnancy? Even if she is spayed?

Thanks,

AE

Hi Crunchie,

I hope you don't mind me posting to your thread, as I don't have any advice for you, but am really interested in any responses to your question, as I was about to post a similar question myself this morning!

I have been looking after a stray female lop that was found near my home soon after Christmas. I'm in touch with the local rescue, and she is on the waiting list to go there, but in the meantime she is staying with me.

Up until last week, she was indoors in an enclosed area of the spare room, but finally I had to move her outside as we needed our spare room back. She's now in a 6x2x2 hutch with large run attached. Just this morning, I noticed that in the bed part of her hutch, she has lined a corner with her fur.

I don't think there is any way she could be pregnant as I have had her for nearly 3 months now and she has had no contact with any un-neutered males. My vet, who is excellent, thinks he can feel a spay scar on her belly, but obviously can't be 100% sure she is spayed.

Could this be a phantom pregnancy? Even if she is spayed?

Thanks,

AE

It certainly looks like it's possible for even unspayed does to have a phantom pregnancy doesn't it. :lol:

Oh well it's quite funny watching Honey at the minute but I hope she doesn't stress herself too much and end up with stasis again.:(

Yes it definitely does! I had all sorts of things running through my head when I saw the little furry bed...I was worried she was cold (despite the 1/2 foot of hay, newspaper + snugglesafe she has in her bed!), or maybe that she was bored or something. I will just let her get on with it as I don't want to upset her by clearing away all her hard work!

Back