• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Found Baby Rabbit (u/d with video, post 49)

Kaellah

Young Bun
My family asked me to care for a baby rabbit they found crying in their basement tonight. They think one of their cats may have brought it in. The strange thing is, it's not a wild breed. It's cream colored, and if I didn't know any better, I'd say it was a Netherland Dwarf. They're asking around the neighborhood tomorrow to see if anyone lost their pet, but until then, I'm supposed to do what I can for the little one, at least until morning.

It's eyes are open and it seems to have plenty of energy. I did the "pinch" test to check for dehydration, but he/she seems ok at the moment. I've got him in an old bird cage with the bottom filled with aspen bedding. There's a water bottle and a bowl of rabbit pellets. I just don't know if this poor guy is weaned or not.

I'll post a picture as soon as my camera battery is charged.

Until then, does anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
whereabouts are you based?

You've given it shelter, food and water - have you got any hay?

Sounds like you are doing the right stuff - sorry i cant be of anymore help! Good luck and i hope someone will be along to help and advise soon xxx

Unfortunately I don't have any hay. I'm actually in the U.S., in Idaho.

I'm starting to think this bunny is more tame than he first appeared to be. He seems calm and inquisitive when I hold him, sniffing at my face and shirt. He even licked me for a bit. Now that he's calmer, his ears have started drooping a bit to the sides, so... probably not a dwarf, right?

It worries me that he hasn't eaten or drank anything yet. I can try to pick up some goat's milk or kitten formula tomorrow, but for now all the stores are closed.

I'd be worried it isn't used to grass. Can you pick up some hay later today? A feed store would probably give you some for free if you ask, since you don't need a huge amount right now, presuming you find the owner soon (or at least, they will where I am in the states).

I picked as much grass as I could (it's the tail end of winter here so not much has grown yet).

My neighbors might think I'm nuts for combing through my lawn with a flashlight at 2 am, but whatever. :roll:

I'd be worried it isn't used to grass. Can you pick up some hay later today? A feed store would probably give you some for free if you ask, since you don't need a huge amount right now, presuming you find the owner soon (or at least, they will where I am in the states).

I'll pick up what I can as soon as the stores are open. There's a place just down the road that sells hay, if I remember right.

My camera charged up enough to get a few shots of him. Any guesses on age? (I'm experienced working with other animals, but fairly new to rabbits)

Last edited:
He looks old enough to be weaned i think. He does have a nethie look, probably mixed breed though. My nethies were about his size when I got them. He doesn't really look 8 wks, maybe a little younger (they should remain with their mom till 8 wks) but then again, I always imagined my nethies were brought to the pet shop at 6-7 wks and so when I got them they were 8-9 wks (I adopted them from a couple that had them 2 wks).

He looks old enough to be weaned i think. He does have a nethie look, probably mixed breed though. My nethies were about his size when I got them. He doesn't really look 8 wks, maybe a little younger (they should remain with their mom till 8 wks) but then again, I always imagined my nethies were brought to the pet shop at 6-7 wks and so when I got them they were 8-9 wks (I adopted them from a couple that had them 2 wks).

Thanks for helping me. I realized after posting the pics that he does seem a bit bigger than I originally thought (he just curls up and looks so tiny sometimes). I tend to over-worry about animals, which is probably why my family always calls me when they find one in trouble. I'll definitely pick up some hay in the morning... though I'll be honest; I'm getting to the point where I'm kinda hoping an owner isn't found. :oops:
He's just so darned cute!

Oh what a little cutie! Well done for taking him in. :) Maybe put some posters up in the area (just "Found rabbit", no description, and your number) if your parents have no luck going door to door. Are there any animal shelters that people might report a missing bun to? Or maybe try local vets. Good luck, I hope you can find his owner (or keep him if not!) :wave:

Naw, looks 4/5/6 weeks old to me, if someone has lost it then they should have the mum and any remaining litter mates, unless they got it far too early.

Just keep him and her snuggly, a bowl of water, bit of grass and hay when you get some etc and keep and eye on him her. You could cut a hole in a cardboard box and stuff with hay so the little mite has somewhere to hide in case he or she gets scared.

Stress is a killer for buns :(

You're doing a great job :wave:

I put a small box in with him last night and woke up to find him snuggled into it. I just got back from a pet store with some alfalfa hay. I read online that it's better for young rabbits than grass hay. Quoted here:

"The House Rabbit Society recommends starting baby bunnies on alfalfa hay and introducing grass hays by 6-7 months, gradually decreasing the alfalfa until the rabbit is solely on grass hays by 1 year."

He ate a small amount when I showed it to him.

One of the things that worries me now is it doesn't seem he has defecated/urinated at all since I got him 9 hours ago. Very young animals sometimes need help performing this task, but I think he should be old enough to do it on his own, right? :?

He's adorable!

Actually, I'd be inclined to believe he is a wildie. Thanks to stupid people releasing their domestic buns, the colouring of wildies can vary quite a bit.

He certainly should be able to pass urine and droppings at this stage. It's a rather worrying sign that he may be going in to stasis. :( I do think that the stress of vet treatment would actually may things worse right now though. Just keep him as warm and quiet as you can, but make sure he's got access to food and water.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
He's adorable!

Actually, I'd be inclined to believe he is a wildie. Thanks to stupid people releasing their domestic buns, the colouring of wildies can vary quite a bit.

He certainly should be able to pass urine and droppings at this stage. It's a rather worrying sign that he may be going in to stasis. :( I do think that the stress of vet treatment would actually may things worse right now though. Just keep him as warm and quiet as you can, but make sure he's got access to food and water.

Keep up the good work!

I draped a towel around the cage so that maybe he'll feel safe enough to leave the hidey box for food/water. I'll do my best not to disturb him for the rest of the day. I really hope he turns out to be ok.

He doesn't really have the look of a cottontail rabbit to me.

One of the things that worries me now is it doesn't seem he has defecated/urinated at all since I got him 9 hours ago. Very young animals sometimes need help performing this task, but I think he should be old enough to do it on his own, right?
He probably hasn't eaten/drank enough to pee/poo. Its good he ate a little hay, since if he doesn't start eating soon stasis is a concern :(

One of the things that worries me now is it doesn't seem he has defecated/urinated at all since I got him 9 hours ago. Very young animals sometimes need help performing this task, but I think he should be old enough to do it on his own, right?
He probably hasn't eaten/drank enough to pee/poo. Its good he ate a little hay, since if he doesn't start eating soon stasis is a concern :(

Bunnies should be eating/drinking and peeing/pooing all the time.

If bun hasn't peed or pooed yet, than he or she could be in very big trouble :(

Bunnies should be eating/drinking and peeing/pooing all the time.

If bun hasn't peed or pooed yet, than he or she could be in very big trouble :(

I know, thats why I said stasis is a concern :( Poor bun... he's probably too stressed right now to drink/eat.

He doesn't seem to be doing too well. Last night I checked his skin coloration and did a pinch test for dehydration. The skin was bright pink and it was almost impossible to get the skin to fold. I checked both again today when I got home and the skin is a much darker purplish color and very loose (folds easily). I bought some kitten formula and a bottle, and he ate a bit of that, more than he has the solid food, but still no urination/defecation.

I've been trying to keep things warm, dim and quiet otherwise. I'm not sure how to balance between caring for him and not further traumatizing him. :(

Back