• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outside time with dogs

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
For those with buns and dogs, how do you give your buns outside time?

I am happy to lock the dogs inside whilst the buns are outside, but I have always heard that it isn't good to put them outside where a dog might have contaminated the grass. I obviously wouldnt put the pen where any poop was (or I would pick up any poop) but I have no idea where the dogs pee.

Now the weather is finally not to hot, I would love to introduce the buns to some outdoor time. I really feel they will love it, but I am just not sure how to go around the whole dog contamination bit.

So what do you do?

Do they have a run? could you concrete an area or put slabs there and pop the run on there permenantly ie so they have thier area where the dogs can't go?
x

They don't have a permanent run, and I unfortunately cant lay slabs down because we are renting.

My initial plan was to pen off an area for them to play in on the grass (because the garden isnt bunny proof, they can't free range) - I just don't know if that area I pen off is where they dogs have pee'd!!

However, I have just remembered that for some reason there is a paved area at the back of the garden (I don't know what purpose it originally served, it looks kind of odd just sitting there!!). I could set the pen up there as I doubt the dogs would have pee'd there. But I was kinda hoping they would be able to go on the grass...unless I just cut them some grass.

Thoughts again please!?

Could you hose down the area of grass that you want to pen off for the buns, put up the pen, and leave it for a while so that the dog wee will have washed away?

Dont have dogs so dont know about how grass contamination works really, sorry.

Could you hose down the area of grass that you want to pen off for the buns, put up the pen, and leave it for a while so that the dog wee will have washed away?

Dont have dogs so dont know about how grass contamination works really, sorry.

That's what I meant to say :oops:

That might work Fudgetort.

I don't know how the contamination bit works either :lol: I have just always been told not to put them out where the dogs might have been, but I am itching to give them some outside time as the weather is so lovely.

Thanks for the tips all!

Well rightly or wrongly, I've always allowed the bunnies straight onto the grass where the dogs have been. I've done so for 20 years + and the bunnies have never seemed troubled by it, nor have they experienced any health issues because of it. I only have a small garden so it's impossible to fence off a bit just for the buns.

My back garden is for the buns. The dogs don't get to toilet on it as a rule (although sometimes they do sneak!) but buns have never seemed to have any problems.

Why dont you pen off an area and leave it for a few weeks. I would hose it down every couple of days. After a couple weeks of no dogs i'm sure it would be fine ? No idea if its any use but a suggestion nonetheless :lol:

My bunnies are free range in the garden with my dog, I have never had any trouble regarding where the dog might of poo'd:wave:

I have 6 dogs and all get wander around in the garden. Buns get free range to whole of the garden & so far havent been ill due to wee on grass etc. :)

Buns also run into the dog kennel when the door is open, my labradors just let them drink out their water bowl & climb all over them. :lol:

Just wondering if the people with Dogs and Rabbits still have Fox trouble or if the Dogs successfully keep the Foxes away?

People have mentioned on here before that foxes arent that fearful of dogs anymore, they are getting so confident these days!

Personally weve never encountered a cat or fox entering our garden. The last time a cat was in our garden (8 years ago), it soon regretted it as my crazy little terrier nearly had it by the tail! :shock:

I have a English bulldog and she doesnt poop in our garden and isnt allowed on the grass (my husband is very precious about his lawn) only on our patio area.

I have not seen any foxes in our area and our garden is quite secure thankfully.

i let them free range. my dogs fine with them, ive never had any problems with dog urine and things. i think its fine to let them free range in places dogs have been! :wave:

My dogs poop and pee in their area which is slabbed and it is cleared and hosed down, the buns free range, we have no grass

I have 6 cats and 2 dogs and there fine with all the rabbits, when ever I let one hop around they never bat an eyelid, Smartie is free range inside atm, and often fron dogs and smarties flat out asleep next to each other x

I use runs on the grass where the dog has been and my house bunny runs round the garden with the dog :lol:

Obviously I make sure there is no dog poo on the grass, but i've never had any ill effects of them being on the same grass.

Back