• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is your bunny supervised or unsupervised in runs during the day?

Is your bunny supervised when in runs during the day?

• Yes- i supervise - my rabbits are put out into their runs each day

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • No - i don't supervise- i have a hutch/run setup that is permanent

Votes: 36 57.1%
  • No i don't supervise- Buns are put out into their runs each day and put back in hutches at night

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Other please discuss..

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
Other- I don't use runs, I have house buns. They are normally supervised, if not they're in a room that is rabbit proof.

I have house buns but they have a run outside. I ALWAYS supervise them as it a panel run that isn't meshed underneath and just isn't designed for use unsupervised so isn't strong enough.

Most of the time I sit in the run with them as it's easily big enough. :oops:

_IGP2122-vi.jpg

I have house buns but they have a run outside. I ALWAYS supervise them as it a panel run that isn't meshed underneath and just isn't designed for use unsupervised so isn't strong enough.

_IGP2122-vi.jpg

:love:

Basically this also, although this year will be a bit different, as they will have the whole garden, but penned off areas, rather than a pen to go IN.

:love:

Basically this also, although this year will be a bit different, as they will have the whole garden, but penned off areas, rather than a pen to go IN.

I wish I could do that but our garden is a hotchpotch and they can easily, easily go down the driveway and out into the road. We have that grassed area, a garage, a bit behind the garage, a vegetable patch, a shed, two exits to the driveway, numerous bulbs, a hedge that they could climb under, an alleyway behind, a bank with foxes...

I could go on :oops::lol: So the pen works really well for us :thumb: Takes up half the lawn now but works well :lol::lol::lol::lol:

_IGP2122-vi.jpg

Is your pen one big one or made up of two? Am agonising over what to buy for my two on the grass. They used to go in the wooden run I have but that has been attached to the side of their shed now. So was going to buy a metal run, but the ones with lids on are really difficult to get into and also to catch them at the end of the day. So was thinking of something like yours where they could have a bigger area to run and I could supervise it, my son could easily get in with them and my OH would be pleased as we could pack the pen away when not in use! Seems that might be the way forward.

They have 24/7 access to their run unsupervised, but their runs are VERY secure. All screwed together with proper wire mesh, top and bottom.

They are allowed out of their run a few times a day but they are closely supervised.

Run is attached to their hutch so have access 24/7.

Free range time at weekend usually 1-2 hours on Sat & Sun. I leave them to it & check on them every 15 mins....Rodge is usually found snoozing under the bench & Orla snoozing under the kennel. :lol:

Mine have a kennel/aviary set up so are unsupervised. They also have a separate run on grass now which they are able to use under supervision. They also have free range time in the house.

Is your pen one big one or made up of two? Am agonising over what to buy for my two on the grass. They used to go in the wooden run I have but that has been attached to the side of their shed now. So was going to buy a metal run, but the ones with lids on are really difficult to get into and also to catch them at the end of the day. So was thinking of something like yours where they could have a bigger area to run and I could supervise it, my son could easily get in with them and my OH would be pleased as we could pack the pen away when not in use! Seems that might be the way forward.

It's two of the larger Trixie panel ones. Only with 14 panels not all 16. They don't open to big angles easily though. In the picture that is about as wide as I can get some of them, so I might get a load of cable ties and attach them together with those in some places. What I'm trying to say is that are very obviously designed for putting up in a group of 8 but can be modified quite easily to go bigger with a bit of force :oops: or some cable ties.

I tend to put it up about March time and just leave it up all summer and then pack it away in autumn. Otherwise I'd be forever putting it up and packing it away and it's too much of a faff for that every day!

It's two of the larger Trixie panel ones. Only with 14 panels not all 16. They don't open to big angles easily though. In the picture that is about as wide as I can get some of them, so I might get a load of cable ties and attach them together with those in some places. What I'm trying to say is that are very obviously designed for putting up in a group of 8 but can be modified quite easily to go bigger with a bit of force :oops: or some cable ties.

I tend to put it up about March time and just leave it up all summer and then pack it away in autumn. Otherwise I'd be forever putting it up and packing it away and it's too much of a faff for that every day!

Thanks for that! will have to have a look and see what is about! My OH is a pain wanting it put away at the end of the day! He doesn't realise bunnies come first !!!:lol:

Get him to put the run up and take it down every day, he'll soon change his mind :lol::lol:

Last edited:
unsupervised in an attached hutch and run :wave: they used to be unsupervised in an unattached run on the grass but I am home every day and pop outside quite often to check on them, if something happened I wold be able to hear it or my dog would alert me too it :)

Bluebell and Willow have a permanent hutch/run combo outside as the fresh airflow is better for his respitory probs.

The rest of the buns have hutches inside a disused garage and are put in large secure runs on the patio between 6am and 10pm (sometimes longer).

Its not ideal but renting we have limited patio space so this utilises the space better. It also means I can clean the hutches out in the dry with access to a light in the winter months when the days are shorter.

I then have some x-pen type runs which are for supervised access only on the grass.

Bramble has a hutch and run set up, which we don't supervise. He also has a free ranging area on the patio, but we supervise this.

other..

i pull the run up to and attatch it to the shed every day and take it away on a night.
it is very secure and they can come and go as they please all day. but i feel happier knowing they are locked in the shed on a night. :?

I have kennel or hutches with attached runs which I leave them in if the weather is rubbish and runs on the grass for when the weather is lovely like today

Leo bunny gets put out in his run on nice days - years ago the gang use to go in the runs from 8-8 in summer unsupervised - but as I've gained more knowledge and now my current bunny is a lot older as in 14 I don't risk it.

Not now we don't have a dog as Jed use to keep an eye on things and local cats seemed to know to avoid the garden!

I feel he is too old to be out all day especially in hot weather over summer or in the cold. Run does have a cover on.

When I'm at work my Mum sometimes puts him out for a few hours or puts him out mid pm and I get him in eves,

The guineas who live outdoors go out for the odd hour if nice but I supervise them more as they are so chilled if a cats about they just sit there at the edge.

In the ideal world I'd have a very large hutch/run combo and leave Leo to come and go as he wanted, but now he is a lot older he has really got a lot less active so not wanting to change things now and not planning on having anymore rabbits (love them to bits but am out 8-6 and dont feel it's fair on them)

Hutch with aviary type run on hardstanding, so free all day but in the hutch at night.

Also have panels around the lawn for daily supervised run (next doors have cats).

Back