• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The dreaded carrier - how to get them in it?

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
I need help!

Charlee is off to have her vaccinations tomorrow, which means that both buns will have to go in the carrier. I would love it if I could pop the carrier in their cage and they just hopped in, but it always ends up in a terrible battle that they usually win (because I give up!) :lol:

I usually have to corner Charlee, and then scoop her up. Noah is more difficult, he is bigger, stronger and more nervous. I come out with scratches all over my arms and a very disgruntled bunny.

I would also like to be able to take them outside for some play time - but unless there is an easy way to get them to cooperate it makes it too difficult.

So any ideas?

I lure mine in with food. Their carrier stays in their shed all the time so they're used to it and not worried to go inside.

I've heard of people training their buns to hop inside the carrier as soon as they put it in. Just takes a long while of positive reinforcement using food whenever they go in.

Mmm, so familiar! We 'post' ours in backwards usually although I agree with the above post - it is useful to make the carrier part of their usual 'habitat' so to speak so that they don't view it with suspicion.

Good luck! :lol: :lol:

I did try at one stage to keep their carrier in the pen. I had it up against the pen pieces which were up against the wall. Charlee jumped on top of the carrier, flew at the wall and managed to wedge herself between the wall and the pen piece :shock:

I could put it directly in the middle of the pen, but it takes up so much space as it is such a large carrier.

I might have to just practice giving them their dinner in it and then taking the carrier out when they have finished eating.

Can you normally lift them and they just go crazy when you wave a carrier around or do you always have trouble picking them up? If it's the later I don't think you're going to manage miracles overnight so you could try poping food in and hoping they make their own way it (little bit - nothing big enough to run off with) or put the carrier down on their favourite running away route and they may go in.

Can you normally lift them and they just go crazy when you wave a carrier around or do you always have trouble picking them up? If it's the later I don't think you're going to manage miracles overnight so you could try poping food in and hoping they make their own way it (little bit - nothing big enough to run off with) or put the carrier down on their favourite running away route and they may go in.

Charlee is alright - I think because I have had her since she was a baby so she has had a lot of one-on-one contact from a young age. Noah is just an incredibly nervous bunny, and had been in the rescue from 8 weeks to 5 months of age. I don't think he got handled a lot during that time. So I always have trouble picking him up.

I know I'm not going to be able to change things in time for the vet appointment tomorrow - I am moreso hoping to be able to change things for the future, so that they can enjoy going outside and so that the vets isnt quite so stressful!

Thanks for the tips :D

In that case I would introduce the carrier daily like you'd make friends, so start with leaving it in the pen with a treat in or pop their dinner in - remove it again afterwards if it's too big/is used a launch platform :lol: Just make positive associations, it doesn't have to be there all the time, just make it arriving a good thing. Then build up so you close the door when they go in then open it again, next close the door and lift an inch put it back and give them a treat, etc. etc. just tiny steps spread out over a few weeks. End up so you move the carrier, open the door, give them a treat and let them out. That way you'll be able to move them outside and hopefully the occasional vet trip won't bother them :)

In that case I would introduce the carrier daily like you'd make friends, so start with leaving it in the pen with a treat in or pop their dinner in - remove it again afterwards if it's too big/is used a launch platform :lol: Just make positive associations, it doesn't have to be there all the time, just make it arriving a good thing. Then build up so you close the door when they go in then open it again, next close the door and lift an inch put it back and give them a treat, etc. etc. just tiny steps spread out over a few weeks. End up so you move the carrier, open the door, give them a treat and let them out. That way you'll be able to move them outside and hopefully the occasional vet trip won't bother them :)

Brilliant! That is great advice, and very helpful. :D Thank you so much.

Tamsin's advice is what I would do. I also use their carrier to take them from the hutch to the run every day. When I open the hutch, I put the carrier at the door with some pellets right at the back. Eventually, it has become a part of their daily routine so if we are going to the vet, I just do the same.

I also am able to leave it in the run, it has a roof, with the door off. They play in it and jump on it to have a lookout post.

I hope you can manage to get them used to it. It is horrible when you feel you are forcing them to do something they hate. :wave:

Tamsin's advice is what I would do. I also use their carrier to take them from the hutch to the run every day. When I open the hutch, I put the carrier at the door with some pellets right at the back. Eventually, it has become a part of their daily routine so if we are going to the vet, I just do the same.

I also am able to leave it in the run, it has a roof, with the door off. They play in it and jump on it to have a lookout post.

I hope you can manage to get them used to it. It is horrible when you feel you are forcing them to do something they hate. :wave:

I do this as well, they learn very quickly, and prefer it to being picked up so it benefits them.

Do you have a tunnel? I have terrible troubles getting the lionheads in their carrier when they are in their run and usually they hide in their tunnel cos they think I can't get them there so yesterday I just popped on end in and shooed them in from the other end. Was so much easier!

With us its the other way round!! Can get Rolo in...but he wont come out at the vets and turns into a rabbid beast! The vet has scars to prove it!:roll:

Rach x

Yesterday I tried treats with Bramble, but the moment he sees the carrier he goes to the furthest corner of his run where you can't reach him. I normall have to resort to picking him up and putting him in, which he hates :( He has to go for a check up tomorrow, so I might try the tunnel trick!

I have tunnels, but they don't have a bottom of them. Usually with Noah, I have to resort to placing a towel over his head and body, wrapping him in the towel and then picking him up. It is the least stressful way to move him :( It would be so much easier if he would just get in the carrier without having to be picked up.

Tonight I am going to put the carrier in their pen (and arrange it so they can't jump out), with their favourite bed inside. I will put dinner in there too. Hopefully that helps a little.

Back