• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broken Bond?? Advice Needed Please

Our two male Agoutis, Bear and Willow have been together for the last 6 weeks after we adopted them individually from a well known pet store's 'rescue' section. We bonded them gradually over about a week period.

Bear came first in early January and Willow came about a month later as he needed treatment for ear mites. Both were neutered just over a month ago and since this time they had been living together very well with mutual grooming going on and the odd bout of humping but no real problems until the early hours of yesterday morning!

The upshot is Bear ended up with a very sore ear (two holes in it!! for which of course he has seen the vet and been given an anti biotics shot). Both rabbits are eating, drinking, and everything else fine but we separated them immediately.

What are your thoughts? Should we try to rebond in a couple of weeks? Leave it completely (with each other)? What?? I'm at a loss but I want the best for these two little boys - they are both around 8 - 9 months old and have had such a horrible start to life.

We have 5 other house buns but they have not had contact with them at present as we are 21 days in to a course of panacur treatment and the new boys are also newly vaccinated.

Any suggestions welcome :wave:

Yes, they can still see and smell each other. They have touched noses since but obviously we have not let them do anymore than this.

Both are lovely rabbits - I think Willow is just so nervous that every time Bear moves, Willow THINKS he's being attacked so is permanantly on defensive if not attack. :( Poor buns :(

Oh I see they had a fight? Didnt realise when I read the first post, I thought you meant he was just ill.

Keep them so they can see and smell each other, as long as they cant attack each other through the bars. This should mean that they dont lose their bond from being apart, and it can help them get used to each other. I'm not experienced in bonding, I only know what I've researched (going to bond my male soon). But someone more experienced will probably be along soon.

As they were only neutered a month ago it is likely they both have residual hormones still so this is probably not helping. I'd leave it a few weeks at least, until Willow looks comfortable with Bears presence, then try a rebond. They havent been bonded long, did you introduce anything not neutralised into the environment or increased the space, have they seen the other bunnies - anything that could have upset the bond?

As it may be a difficult bonding because of the attack you'll have to follow all the rules of bonding to the letter and make sure its a completely neutral space. You'll want to have plenty of time free to supervise them constantly if need be too, more than your usual 48hours. You might want to get a proffessional at a rescue to do it for you, they often do for a donation :)

Are they both castrated ?

If not and you put them back together one may end up killing the other :cry:

If they are both castrated then I would not attempt a rebond for several weeks. Certainly not until the wounds have healed and 'Spring Fever' time has past. As they are still showing fear/aggressive behaviour towards each other, even if they cant get at each other, I would keep them out of sight,smell and sound of each other. Constant 'reminders' will just wind both of them up and thus make a rebond even more risky.

If you have any other Rabbits then any rebond between the Bucks will need to be attempted well away from them as referred aggression needs to be taken into account.

As they were only neutered about a month ago, I'd say hormones may still be running a little high. That (coupled with Spring fever - meaning most bunnies seem particularly frisky at the moment) is probably what triggered yesterday's events.

I would try to rebond them, but I would leave it a good few weeks for hormones to die down and until Spring fever time has passed (although I'm not sure when it finishes - Alfie is still humping like mad :roll:).

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Yes, they were neutered about five weeks ago (lost track of time) so I guess hormones abd Spring fever need to be factored in!

They are lovely buns and I really think that Willow being so frightened is a contributing factor too - he is so nervous love him.

I think I'll sit tight and try again in a few weeks.

They are going back to the vet for their myxi vaccination next Monday so that will make Willow extra grumpy too. Bear is healing up well I think but that will be checked on Monday too.

Thanks again

Back