• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor rabbits need as much space as outdoor rabbits

William

Wise Old Thumper
Right? I've always wondered why it was okay for indoor rabbits to be kept in dog crates and things for part of the day/night when its not really accepted for people to keep their outdoor rabbits in hutches for part of the day without access to their run.

I don't really mind or anything, and I do keep my buns in C&C cages for part of the day myself (though I'm going to free range them soon when they're bonded). I'm just curious what the difference is?

No difference at all to my mind! I hate it when people say they have indoor rabbits and keep them in accomodation way below the minimum recommended for outdoors :(

Yeah, thats what I thought...just doesn't make any sense why outdoor buns need more space... or I guess if the indoor rabbit is usually free range in the house it would have usually have much more space than an outdoor bun since outdoor buns are usually in their hutch/run/shed 24/7 so it does kinda make sense... but not if the indoor rabbit is locked up for a long time everyday.

No difference in my mind.

B&G are locked away in their dog crate from midnight til 6:30am, but purely for their own safety, more so than the destruction of the house, even though it is rented, its too difficult to bunny proof our living room whilst its not ours, so they are locked away, but its in their interests as much as mine.

They are both out for ~16-18hours a day with the whole house except a part of the living room (see my thread 'Biscuit & Ginger - The Setup').

:wave:

It is an interesting point, as working in rescue I hear lots of people say they have a house rabbit, and in later conversation you find out that the "house" rabbit actually spends most of its life in the corner of a room in one of those vile plastic 2ft "indoor hutches" with no stimulation for 95% of the day.

A true house rabbit is one that has the freedom to move in the same way that an oudoor big in a good set up would.

I apply the same rules for housing outdoor bunnies to housing indoor bunnies; eg) 6ftx2ft hutch plus 6ft x 4ft pen at all times minimum.

My two have a 6ftx2ft home base with a 7ftx5ft pen. Ideally, I would prefer it larger but living in a rental, it just isn't possible at this time. With a bit of luck, they will also begin to get some outdoor time.

George and Gemma have a dog crate as a base but the door is always open. The exception was yesterday morning when I had someone repairing my washing machine and Gemma insisted on going behind to try and chew the wires:shock:. It was far too dangerous for her to be out but they were only shut in for 30 mins. As soon as the machine was back and the guy was doing his paperwork I let them out again.

They are limited to one room - the kitchen - as they are both destructive and totally wrecked the lounge when they lived in there. They have 24 hour access to the kitchen and only use their crate as a base when they want to get away from the cats or have some 'quiet' time.

I would never keep them in a crate for any length of time - they would hate it.

No difference atall in my opinion.
My guys are all indoor buns and theres not a single cage in sight. Luckily I own my own place so have been able to modify it to be totally naughty bunny proof. All our sockets are high up and everything (OH is a sparky) :D

Right? I've always wondered why it was okay for indoor rabbits to be kept in dog crates and things for part of the day/night when its not really accepted for people to keep their outdoor rabbits in hutches for part of the day without access to their run.

I don't really mind or anything, and I do keep my buns in C&C cages for part of the day myself (though I'm going to free range them soon when they're bonded). I'm just curious what the difference is?

I do feel this way but I can see that in some circumstances free-ranging through the night can't be done. However, on the whole I can't see why an area can be ok during the day when people are busy doing other things and their attention is not 100% on the bunnies and yet not ok at night. So I do feel as much as possible should be done to give them the same space as night as during the day. In my experience when they have access to the same area 24-7 they are less likely to mark and be destructive.

I used to put mine away at night purely because otherwise they wake up and start making a racket at sunrise which is a bit of a pain in the summer when they wake me up at 5 banging around :lol: At the moment they've been out 24/7 in their room but this might have to change again in the coming months if they start their own little version of the dawn chorus again :lol:

Rolo has a huge dog crate for sleeps. Its the biggest one they do and is supposed to be for a rottie. Hes out from about 7am till we go to bed about 11pm. He has the run of the house during the day, but at night I do like him contained for his safety. Even though the back of the TV is cordened off...he could get into the wires if he really tried. During the day, Im around so would hear the noise from the guards if he tried to get in...but I wouldnt hear them at night.

Rach x

I think it was originally suggested to use the largest dog crate as you could adapt it to be two storey and it was better than the smaller pet shop cages that you could buy for extortionate prices. When people on this forum first discovered C&C grids, those started to be suggested more than dog crates as you can build as big as you want and as high as you want.

If a dog crate is suggested now, it is normally with a pen attached.

Yeh its not a house bun if its shut in a cage. I admit i do have a ferplast cage (hear you all cringe) and at the time i only got it because i thought Buster would like to sleep in it but he has not once been locked in it. He has the whole run of the kitchen, the kitchen is is cage as we have a baby gate up. The plastic cage is basically just his litter tray and food area. I wouldnt dream of locking him it it!

Yeh its not a house bun if its shut in a cage. I admit i do have a ferplast cage (hear you all cringe) and at the time i only got it because i thought Buster would like to sleep in it but he has not once been locked in it. He has the whole run of the kitchen, the kitchen is is cage as we have a baby gate up. The plastic cage is basically just his litter tray and food area. I wouldnt dream of locking him it it!

A few members use those as bases :thumb: I have a couple I keep hold of for emergencies.

I actually do see a difference. House buns tend to get more space when they are out, whereas most outdoor rabbits get only the hutch + run, which going by the minimum reccommended is at least 36sqft. I dont know about other peoples house buns, but my bedroom is around 160sqft, so he gets a hell of a lot more space in the daytime. Therefore I do feel it is acceptable to keep them in a smaller area (like a dog crate, the largest size of which is 12sqft) for short periods of time, as they get more room when they are out.

However I think the size of the base should reflect the amount of time spent in there. If a rabbit can only come out less than 16 hours a day, you need to provide more than 12sqft, preferably 36sqft.

What really annoys me is when people wont bunny-proof, and so wont leave them unsupervised at all. A house rabbit that gets less than 5 hours out a day should either be outside or in a bigger than 36sqft base. Even a very basic level of bunny-proofing will mean you can leave them for an hour or so.

Personally, my rabbit is kept in a 4ft 8x4ft 8 pen which gives around 20sqft, 24 if you count the shelf. He is in this overnight as he jumps on my head whilst sleeping, he gets 12-18 hours free range a day. He also occasionally goes in there when I'm eating. Next year when I have a lounge he will hopefully get 24hour free-range in that, then the rest of the flat in daytime if he gets over his fear of lino.

It wasnt always the case though, I used to have a 4x2ft base (8sqft) and he got between 6-16 hours out before I bunnyproofed, depending on how much I was working and what my uni hours were. I always ensured he got at least 5 hours out though, even when I worked a 12 hour shift, I stayed up so he could have time out. I do find my previous setup unsatisfactory, but at the same time it wasnt awful when I bunny-proofed and he got minimum 12 hours out a day.

I also feel better knowing that, through habit or not, Barney does actually sleep most of the night, I have observed him when I have done all-nighters for essays. I think we should remember that a lot of people on here do have their buns locked in hutches overnight, so 12sqft.

I personally found that once out all day, Barney soon relaxed and become a lot LESS likely to destroy things, so actually needed less bunnyproofing!

edit: I also wanted to add that I actually find 36sqft (the minimum outdoor housing) too small unless they free-range the garden sometimes too, and have gone to great pains to ensure Barney has more than this when he goes into boarding as it is for a month. He will have 47.5sqft. It is slightly diffrent for me though, as he is a big bun.

Last edited:
A few members use those as bases :thumb: I have a couple I keep hold of for emergencies.

Yeh it was a toss up between that and a create, at one point i thought about getting him a cat bed lol but i dont think it would have mattered what i got as he doesnt spend any time in it anyway. Although i have a bit of a dilema because whe i get my second bunny (hopefully soon) im going to need another, but not sure what to go for this time!

Nessar does have a good point but i think the op was talking more about house bunnies that are shut in cages most of the day as opposed to being free range. Bunny proofing is much better so that you can give them a room to call their own but its not always possible for some people and even with the best of bunny proofing rabbits can still be really destructive and if your renting it could cause potential nightmares! I have bunny proofed my kitchen. I though i had done my living room too but Buster found a way to get to the wires (really didnt contemplate him forcing himself into the tiniest gaps to get at stuff! He's a real little trouble maker!!!) Luckily i never leave anything plugged in but im a few laptop chargers down and one mobile charger :shock:

Yeh it was a toss up between that and a create, at one point i thought about getting him a cat bed lol but i dont think it would have mattered what i got as he doesnt spend any time in it anyway. Although i have a bit of a dilema because whe i get my second bunny (hopefully soon) im going to need another, but not sure what to go for this time!

Nessar does have a good point but i think the op was talking more about house bunnies that are shut in cages most of the day as opposed to being free range. Bunny proofing is much better so that you can give them a room to call their own but its not always possible for some people and even with the best of bunny proofing rabbits can still be really destructive and if your renting it could cause potential nightmares! I have bunny proofed my kitchen. I though i had done my living room too but Buster found a way to get to the wires (really didnt contemplate him forcing himself into the tiniest gaps to get at stuff! He's a real little trouble maker!!!) Luckily i never leave anything plugged in but im a few laptop chargers down and one mobile charger :shock:

This :)

In an ideal world, I would bunny proof a room and they would have it. As I am renting, I can only provide them with half of the room - the other half is taken up by the spare bed. Wherever they can go, I have to have something protecting the carpet which causes restrictions too. At the last house (another rental) we were at, they had free range of my bedroom. They chewed the corner of the wall, and the carpets looked VERY used (even though I vacuumed and washed them regularly). We were incredibly lucky that we got our bond back. As a result, we have had to take some extra precautions this time and so they are a little more restricted.

We would love to buy sometime in the next 9-18 months, which would solve all of our problems!!

!

Nessar does have a good point but i think the op was talking more about house bunnies that are shut in cages most of the day as opposed to being free range.

No, the OP specified part of the day or night,

William said:
I've always wondered why it was okay for indoor rabbits to be kept in dog crates and things for part of the day/night when its not really accepted for people to keep their outdoor rabbits in hutches for part of the day without access to their run.

I attempted to restrict Louie to a puppy pen overnight when we first got him, blimey for a 10 week old baby he had some blooming strength! He used to lift the bottom of the pen with his teeth and move it all round the room :roll:

I gave up and just rabbit proofed the kitchen/conservatory and hall and let him have those areas at night!

i dont like keeping him in there id rather have him running around all day if i cud but for his own safety has to spend his time in his cage inside even in the nice weather but im thinking about gettinga rabbit hutch outside with a run attached so he can spend the day outside while im at collage but i have to think about securety because people have been known to come into the backgarden and knick things. i dont like having him outside if im not there but i think its a good idea that i do.

ill have to start a thread soon to ask how i can make it secure when im not here :(

Back